• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What birds are engaging but good for first-time owners?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks @alshgs, I thought they were smaller than Galah's but the people telling me said they had one years ago and it was nearly as big as Burt. I was quite shocked because I was thinking all the pictures I have seen of them are showing much smaller birds but I did not want to argue with them so I thought I would ask here. I have found too many varying weights to get a good understanding of their size and I have not seen any pictures with them next to another bird I am familiar with the size of.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Didn't we have a size comparison thread somewhere that put parrots next to soda cans?
Thanks for that @CrowCall, I might have a look around for it. If you happen to find it before I do will you please point me to it? :)

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The golden conures are bigger however and they are sizeable to a galah. Maybe that’s what they meant? Instead of a sun conure?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
No such thing as a starter bird. There are no training wheels with the kind of longevity we're talking about here. Research! Research! Research! Get out there and meet birds face to face. Then get the one you actually want the first time around.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
No such thing as a starter bird.
How many times can that be said...here's one more time...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STARTER BIRD!

...enough said...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well, another thing you have to ask, is a big bird, medium sized bird or small? My vote for small would be lineolated parakeet, Canary winged parakeet or a Parrotlet. If you are talking small bird.

I will never rule out the budgie! Can never go wrong with one of these or a pair. They sing something beautiful and I have always loved their sounds. And I totally miss hearing my wayward found budgies from May that had to be rehomed due to my adoption from a rescue. :(

I had a parrotlet for almost 16 years, great small bird. Feisty as can be but oh so adorable. Even the smallest can live many, many years. If cared for properly, housed in a nice cage, fed a variety of foods and given yearly exams, you will have a great companion with whatever you decide.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm kind of skimming through the previous posts so may be duplicating answers, but...
Every bird brings different pros and cons (and all birds come with the same baseline of long living, needs social interaction, require care and proper food, and will probably bite you at some point).
I did exactly what a lot of people here are recommending. I spent a lot of time around different kinds of birds until I found the right match for me. Since we live in an apartment, a GCC was a good choice because of size and (relatively) less noise. I just happened to love their little acrobatic personalities. Many of them are cuddlers, but that wasn't even something on my mind during the selection process. (I do have a cuddler, but she's getting more independent as she grows!)
A GCC was a perfect first bird for me, but your mileage may vary. I would not recommend something like a Gray or Cockatoo or a Macaw for a first time bird owner, because they require much more stimulation and can do some serious beak damage. But, a big bird may end up being your heart bird! @Brittany0208 has an injured, formerly abused and very rare larger parrot and loves the daylights out of him!!

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
@Feather and @cassiesdad ,To be very clear, I don't mean "starter" bird in the way you would mean training wheels on a bike or an small excercise leading up to a more challenging one. I mean a bird that is GOOD FOR SOME ONE STARTING OUT WITH OWNING BIRDS. SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER OWNED A BIRD. I don't plan to keep a bird and then just decide one day "Yah know what, Imma just go buy a bigger bird. I think I've trained myself and can level up." No. I'm talking about getting a bird easy for a person who's never had a bird to own. As @d_msparkles said, I know that some birds, especially larger ones, are not great to own without prior experience, so I'm trying to avoid getting a bird that I'm not ready to take care of.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I still stand by my statement. I believe anyone looking to get a bird should get the bird they actually want the first time around. Even if it's a large, difficult one.
Any prospective bird caretaker should be willing to do the necessary research and meet the species they're considering so they can have the clearest grasp possible of just what it is they're bringing home.

Now, I'm certainly not saying you or anyone should bite off more than they think they can chew. I'm just saying take your time with the decision and don't settle for something that isn't what you really want, because this bird will be a part of your life for a very, very long time. :heart2:

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
It depends of your budget, living situation, work hours.. all that. Also, suns are only a bit bigger than green cheeks.. so I'd say, no, not that big. Also! There is a larger conure, the pantagonian conure (had no idea they could be up to 19in until I met one yesterday :ashamed2: )

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Suns are 12 inches

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
with any animal, there's no "beginner" animal. it applies with fish, reptiles, birds, so on. get an animal that makes you personally happy and that you can care for. reptiles, birds, mammals, etc are all big commitments and getting an animal that doesn't give you join and you just get it because it's labelled as an easier animal to keep(especially with longer living animals that require more time like birds) isn't gonna bring you joy and will probably just make your life more bothersome.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I agree that you should do your research and possibly find a rescue to spend some time at and get to know the different species. I had birds as a kid, but as an adult, I got Tuchis TAG who will be 16 next month. With a lot of research, greys just seemed to be the right fit for me and he's been amazing. My flock has grown over the years as well and we have Galahs, a Ducorps' Cockatoo, several Amazons, two male Ekkies, and a flight of six Linnies. I'd have to say that the greys are still my favorite but each bird is special in a different way!:)

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Some birds definitely make more of a mess than others lol. You have to just be honest with yourself about what kind of mess you're willing to put up with, if you want a bird that is more likely to keep itself busy while you're away (or if you get two that get along), what kind of noise you can put up with, how big of a cage you can house, you can even think down to how big of a poop mess you want to deal with which kinda fits into the first point... If you'd be okay with the bird possibly disliking other people around you, if you're ready to deal with a hormonal bird that is going to attack members of your family if the bird is bonded to you and sees them as a threat... (Less likely with some birds like budgies, cockatiels...). Lots of things to think about. There are some personality and physical differences too of course. Like my parrotlet is very active even when sick, acrobatic but also nippy, willful and doesn't use her feet to eat like the bigger parrots do which surprised me because at first I thought all parrots did.

Lots to think about....

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Like my parrotlet is very active even when sick, acrobatic but also nippy, willful and doesn't use her feet to eat like the bigger parrots do which surprised me because at first I thought all parrots did.
That's interesting about parrotlets--I never knew they don't eat with their feet!
I think they are such adorable balls of fluff but willful is not even the half of it! I always describe them as the chihuahua of the parrot world. :laugh:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Sometimes she grabs a toy with her foot (like to keep it from moving away) but I've never seen her use her feet to eat, or seen another parrotlet hold food with their feet... One out there might but I've never seen it haha.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Are tiels more happy alone or in a pair? Will it become unhappy without another bird when I'm not home?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Are tiels more happy alone or in a pair? Will it become unhappy without another bird when I'm not home?
I highly recommend getting two cockatiels... My grandma only has one and even though she's home often he seems lonely to me. :x