• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird is this? (Bonus Java Sparrow in the BG)

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Every once in a great while I see one or two of these birds. I rarely see them and I was curious to know what birds these are? When I first saw them from far away I freaked out because I thought it was someone's lovebird that had gotten out (I have really bad eyes and I only saw the color) until I got close enough to see that it wasn't even a lovebird!! I tend to bird watch whenever I'm out so I was pretty stoked to see these guys. There's very few of them in Honolulu area it seems.

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So adorable! But I've no idea what they are @tattoosiva is in Hawaii too I think. Maybe she'll know.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to add that people on Craigslist try to sell as lovebirds and they are a popular "pool bird" second to Mynahs for puttlng in small decorative cages around the pool for live decorations in Hawaii.

Off season when it gets colder like now, the birds are set free, sold on CL or disposed of.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Little gray one looks like a juvenile java sparrow.

Last edited:

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Its looks like a saffron finch, I don't think there are many on the other island, mostly only in Oahu. I mistake them for lovebirds on the loose too :)

Saffron Finch - Whatbird.com
Just wanted to add that people on Craigslist try to sell as lovebirds and they are a popular "pool bird" second to Mynahs for puttlng in small decorative cages around the pool for live decorations in Hawaii.

Off season when it gets colder like now, the birds are set free, sold on CL or disposed of.
Thank you for the info, now I know why I've been seeing them a little more than before. The first time I saw one was at Hale'iwa, and then second I saw two at Ala Wai park and that's when I thought two lovebirds got lose and I started to try and find way to get them in case they got lost but when I got close enough to see them they weren't lovebirds at all! :lol: It's so sad that these birds are merely used for just deco....