• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are the main differences between these two?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Recently I have been fascinated by Alexandrine parrots. I’m definitely not thinking of bringing one home, as cute as they are. My family would not support it and even I admit I’m not ready for another bird at the moment, especially one such as an Alexandrine. Despite this, out of interest I’ve been researching on them. And I’m just wondering, out of curiosity, what exactly are the main differences between Alexandrine parrots and Indian Ringnecks? Obviously they’re a different species and therefore have their differences, but even so, they just seem so alike. From the time pictures I’ve seen they also look alike. So I’m wondering if any people with Alexandrine parrots and/or Indian Ringnecks can explain? And of course, pictures of any of AA’s Alexandrines or IRNs would be very much welcomed, too.

Thanks. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don't know a lot about them, all I know is that Alexandrine's are bigger then ringnecks.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Ahh funny that you've posted this! I've recently fell in love with an Alexandrine when we went to Tropical Birdland the other day :lol:

I have no advice about what they or what Ringnecks are like, as I don't know much about them either. But this one I fell in love with kept snuggling into my friends hair! And being so cute :) All of them there were so sweet. They seem like a great underrated bird!

30550941_10156161101027165_173841799_o.jpg 30550266_10156161097392165_2069011246_o.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahh funny that you've posted this! I've recently fell in love with an Alexandrine when we went to Tropical Birdland the other day :lol:

I have no advice about what they or what Ringnecks are like, as I don't know much about them either. But this one I fell in love with kept snuggling into my friends hair! And being so cute :) All of them there were so sweet. They seem like a great underrated bird!

View attachment 276665 View attachment 276666
So precious!:heart:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I had a Alexandrine Parrot named Marlin. like most parrots, they are flock orientated and will interact with their human flock. Marlin was very social and preferred to be with us than his toys. He wasn't hard to train. The secret is time, lots and lots of time of bonding and training. Like all animals if you want a well-behaved and trained animal then you need to put in the time. This is my personal experience. Alexandrine Parakeets are known has gentle giants and are up there with the African Grey and Eclectus for intelligence. Yes, Alexandrines are AMAZING bird and if you have the chance to get one, grab it with both hands. you won't be sorry.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

View attachment 276665 View attachment 276666

Well now that is just adorable. :xflove:

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I had a Alexandrine Parrot named Marlin. like most parrots, they are flock orientated and will interact with their human flock. Marlin was very social and preferred to be with us than his toys. He wasn't hard to train. The secret is time, lots and lots of time of bonding and training. Like all animals if you want a well-behaved and trained animal then you need to put in the time. This is my personal experience. Alexandrine Parakeets are known has gentle giants and are up there with the African Grey and Eclectus for intelligence. Yes, Alexandrines are AMAZING bird and if you have the chance to get one, grab it with both hands. you won't be sorry.

Thanks for the reply! Your Marlin sounds so precious. :heart: Thanks for sharing about him.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Ooh I better mention that they are like to chew and not much is off limits. So you will need to hid away power cords, in fact anything that you don't want chewed. I liken them to a chainsaw. So make sure you give them chew toys, lots and lots of chew toys.