• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are parrotlets like compared to cockatiels?

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
As i have said i would like adopt an african grey but i would like to jump to a larger parrot because i worry that if i get a low maintnence parrot like a cockatiel again i will ask for another bird sooner and i know my mom wont want me to get another bird for a while after my second one. Are parrotlets more high maintnence then cockatiels? Appolo is not demanding at all and does not make a mess and she does not shred toys at all like i would want a parrot to do. What are parrotlets like and will one be as low maintnece as my cockatiel is??

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Parrotlets are feisty little parrots with a big parrot mind set in a little parrot body. They are wonderful little birds and need a lot of space. They can be biters so you have to make sure your strict about biting. I would say parrotlets are about the same amount of maintenance as a cockatiel. The difference being the temperment. Parrotlets have an attitude and usually are really protective of their cage and don't usually get along well with other birds. You will have to be careful with your cockateil as parrotlets can push the boundaries of other parrots and cockatiels can be pushovers, there are some instances where it might switch but not always. I usually keep my Parrotlet away from my Linnie as he is dominating and can do some serious damage. They are said to take after their counter parts the Amazon parrot. Honesty I love my Parrotlet, best birds with attitude. I would recommend them but you should always do your research to see if they are the bird for you.

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
Definitely totally different in personality than cockatiels! As far as maintenance, not that bad but you will need to spend a lot of time bonding and training. A well adjusted parrotlet will most likely enjoy playing with toys and mine shreds those planet pleasures toys like nobody's business.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
My Parrotlet loves toys and shreds them all the time.