• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are Eclectus like as pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Thank you all for the answers. First and foremost I truly understand that all birds are individual. In fact whenever asked about birds this is one of the first things I tell people when we talk about the different species. I also know that fids can change over time, Strawberry was everything bad that you had ever read about RB2. Except she wasn't loud or destructive. But in the last couple of years she has suddenly decided that she wants to be a pink sponge -- but on her terms.

What I have been told about Jasmine: she is not used to men, came from a female only home. Eats an entirely fresh diet, no seed and no pellets. The club will actually help us with paying for food. She is a very sweet bird and does not bite but will "beak" you if not happy with what you are doing. She seems to move in "slow motion." I do not know what this is about, could this be just because she has only been out of her only home for a week now? She loves sliced almonds and would seem to be a candidate for clicker training with food.
She took a piece of almond from my hand last night which was the first sign that she would except men in her life. This was before I knew she was up for adoption.

We cannot believe that she did not start plucking because it is our understanding that she was not handled much in that last couple of years at all.

Jenni is not enthusiastic about bringing a new fid into the house with life stinking for us right now. But the people that are fostering Jasmine right now would really like it if we did it instead, I think they have fostered so many that they are burning out.

What was odd was that Jenni did seem more interested in the 6 year old Goffin's that the club expects to get next week. I find that odd because of how much trouble Goofy gives her.:D While I am not sure I do think Goofy is a male, dark eyes, and the 6 yr old G2 is described as a boy also and a little sponge. Having 2 sponges in the house could be a problem. Though the one that the club is waiting for is used to a women owner so maybe it would be Jenni's and not mine. Also this G2 is one of the first birds that we are getting that has a legitimate reason for surrender, owner has cancer and cannot care for him anymore.

I fell in love with Jasmine the moment I saw her, and I knew I was in trouble when I found out she was in the adoption program. Life was much simpler when I thought she belonged to Lisa.:mad: Of course I do fall in love with all unwanted birds having been an unwanted child myself.

After looking at the chart I believe Jasmine is a Vosmaeri Eclectus. I must have heard Lisa wrong. Jasmine had no eye ring and a yellow tail.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
. She seems to move in "slow motion." I do not know what this is about, could this be just because she has only been out of her only home for a week now? ....
It could be because she's sizing you up but if she is doing the really super slowww....stop.....turn....eye pinned motion it may be hormonal. The first time Ruby did that I thought she was possessed it was so bizarre.

Last edited:

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
Gypsy moves in slow motion in general. Unless she sees food she wants, a new item to attack, or knows she's about to get into trouble and is trying to get to her cage before I can reach her. I swear is is part human 5 year old! lol

But in general she does everything very slowly, very precise. I offer my hand to step up, she looks at it, looks at me, looks back at my hand...then she might beak it to step up. Patience really is key here. As it was mentioned, be careful for eye pinning, that's a good sign that she's about to attack. Of course, its also a sign of excitement, either way its best to let her be.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
It sounds like Peggy is falling in love with Jasmine. This is where she currently being fostered. They do so much fostering for the club (it is the club president and secretary) that I do think they wouldn't mind the break.

And we were calling it "fostering" just to sneak her past Jenni :hehe: but that didn't seem to work. Jenni has already excepted the fact that another big bird is coming into the house. I warned Jenni not to let me go to the bird club on my own.:D But no she had to work this Tuesday so she could have the next Tuesday off to do a Stamping Up demo. Hmm to bad the guy that hit her last year didn't have any money, before the accident she had Tuesdays off. So it's really his fault.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
But in general she does everything very slowly, very precise. I offer my hand to step up, she looks at it, looks at me, looks back at my hand...then she might beak it to step up. Patience really is key here. ....
It's so exasperating when they do that...Ruby knows precisely when I'm in a hurry and she's on the out of reach perch above her cage and choses that time to 'analyze' the situation. I can hear my patience meter start to groan. :lol:

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard does the same analysis. It cracks us up when he steps up in slow motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.