• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are brown heads like?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hello, so I am still trying to find the right parrot for my fiancé and I.

We are curious what the brown heads are like?

One person bird?

Loud?

Aggressive?

Any insight on owners would be great.

Thank you

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I don't have one, and as @Mizzely has said, the links she added to her post will provide you with a good starting point. With that said:

One person bird?
All birds have the potential of developing into one person bird, and this is a known trait of Pois, especially Senegals. With that said, with proper socialization, this can be worked on and avoided.

Loud?
Pois are fairly quiet, and I believe brownheads are no exception. However, all Pois are capable of a high pitch screech which can be annoying. I've heard it from my Meyers, my Red bellies and my Senegal, but they don't do it much. They like to mumble and it is something that you can easily tune out. They are much less noisy that my mom's greys and cockatoos.

Aggressive?
Again, all birds can become aggressive. I find this is a really a bird by bird thing. For example, my Senegal and her brother (who lives with my parents). Shade (mine) is the sweetest bird, both with humans and other birds. Her brother on the other hand only likes a handful of people (mostly my mother and myself) and is very bird aggressive. One of my Red bellies, Joey (male), is pretty easy going with people and other birds, but his sister can be aggressive towards other birds - so much so, that I had to create separate time outs since she would compulsively go for Shade if they were both out at the same time.

With that said, it appears that brown heads have a reputation online for being the sweetest of the smaller Pois.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Ok thanks a lot for the info.