• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Age Does a QP Typically Start to Molt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiLan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
My 3 month old QP started molting his down feathers about 3 days ago. There was about 5 in his cage. Yesterday there was about 8, and today there was about 20. I am thinking it is too soon for typical molt. The weather hasn't been too much warmer. His food hasn't changed recently. The only thing I can think of is stress. I had to dog sit my mom's little dog who kept hopping up to look at him. He just went home yesterday after being here for a few days. When should I start to worry about this? His appetite is great, and pooping like he always does. He's sitting on me now giving me kisses.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Parrots lose down feathers all year long, not just during a full molt, so there's probably nothing unusual about your QP shedding lots of down feathers. Ralph's first full molt started when he was about 6 months old, and lasted roughly four months. Over that time, he gradually lost green and gray feathers of various sizes, and grew new ones.

KaiLan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
Thank you for your input. I get worried about him easily =)

Status
Not open for further replies.