• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What actually kills pbfd?

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
As I've been disinfecting my home, I've been looking for a properly vetted decontamination protocol. It appears there is little consensus. Bird clinics in Australia use f10, and say they've never had the virus spread. Yet in this thread f10 manufacturers will not confirm it kills pbfd:

F10 sc from the horses mouth

In fact, it appears the active ingredient reported on the forum is mainly used for enveloped viruses and bacteria by disputing membranes. This ingredient would not work on pbfd. Then there is this statement:

"according to the manufacturer.
spraying twice a day for 3 weeks should do the trick.
according to the manufacturers fact sheets 3 of the 6 aviaries returned positive results for PBFDV after spraying twice a day for 7 days.."

So when I get home tonight I'm going to begin doing what I should have done 4 years ago... Go through all available scientific literature. If the mods are ok with it (I don't want to spam the forum) I'll create a single thread that has all the findings with quotes and links to the articles so we can finally have the truth and people in my situation in the future don't have to do so much searching.

ETA:

From here:
PBFD mystery....???

"F10 doesn't actually kill the virus, but it is an awesome disinfectant that is apparently avian friendly..therefore a front runner if you have a bird with the disease and you want it to have the best chance.. F10 everything to give your bird a bacteria free environment and therefore giving it's immune system the best chance of fighting the virus."

My questions:

Does anyone know what ingredient in f10 kills pbfd?

Does anyone have scientific/research articles that prove f10 kills pbfd?

Does bleach kill pbfd?

What ingredient in virkon s kills pbfd?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is the address of Health and Hygiene Company in South Africa. They are the company that developed and manufactures F10. If you will look in the case studies section it gives the results of independent testing facilities. Lots of information on this site.

Home