• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What a wonderful place this is!

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Hi! I am new here. This is such a great place. I have always loved birds. I had my first bird when I was young a sweet green and yellow parakeet named Kissy. We had a number of years. When we got a cat, Kissy went to my grandparents hotel where he was the center of attention.

I later got a great handfed cockatiel in white named Pierre. He was super friendly and would help me eat my corn for lunch. He then lived a while at my dad's office. He got to be out of his cage. Someone came to my dad's office and wanted to buy him, so my dad decided to sell him. I know it was a good home where he was treasured. He was a lot of fun.

Then in more recent years, I had lots of chickens, ducks, turkeys, gooses, silver pheasants who I kept in an outdoor aviary. Zorro was amazing, even though I could not tell his ladies apart. Then I downsized, and got some wonderful homing pigeons. I would hand feed the babies if something happened to one of the parents. Sadly, a bobcat family got all my beloved pigeons in one night. They had been on lock down due to the hawks.

For the past 3 years, I just fed God's birds, the wild ones from a feeder.

So, when my heart began to long for a bird that I could interact with, I thought an inside the house bird would be a good choice. I thought a canary might be nice. He could sing while I practice the piano. I play the piano for a church. So, I practice at home a lot. My mom and I went to the pet store, just to see the prices of their things and to get an idea of the size bird a canary really is. I had made the decision on the canary to get one from a breeder. My mom was enchanted with the parakeets.

So I thought, well, why not? We could have a canary in the living room and a parakeet in the family room. One for you and one for me. THEN, I began to do some reading, while I was falling in love with her bird. We saw one - sadly that little bird was not a healthy bird. So, at the recommendation of the pet store, we returned her for another one. We chose Vanya. He is the picture of health - a lively, vocal, little turquoise blue with a white face parakeet/budgie. I like the word budgie better.

And I am totally enchanted with my new friend. I am going to wait a while on the canary.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Yes...this is a great place! I am new to budgies myself - I have 2 now - one was found at work. I brought him home and then bought another so he would have a friend. My other birds are 5 cockatiels and a lovebird.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:hello1:

Welcome to AA! I have a budgie too, he's my first bird! I'm sure you'll find with time that many members will be more than glad to answer any questions you may have, and to share in your love of your feather kid!

:welcomeflag:​

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:welcomeavenue:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Vanya! :)

We'd love to see pictures of him, if you get the chance...:)

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Yes pictures are a must have, so happy you have a babe that makes you smile. Welcome aboard. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome