• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What’s wrong with this canary’s wings?

ceresbly

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kimberly
I came over to my moms house and her canary’s wings are all protruding. He apparently can’t fly but he is eating and drinking normally and has tons of energy still. :( do I need to bring him to vet? He’s so little! 2D71C087-E0CF-446F-9062-EE4B9FD9AB50.jpeg D699EA7E-E6D9-4301-9D33-CEE21ED2B24F.jpeg

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Those aren't his wings, those are just feathers that have either grown in wrong or gotten damaged in the cage bars.
It is not life threatening in any case.
I would pull the damaged plumes out, but it takes some experience to do this safely.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think some breeds of canaries can be prone to feather cysts, though I'm not sure if they would cause the feathers to stick out like that. I'd try to catch him and open his wings and just see if you can tell what's going on. A few abnormal flight feathers like that shouldn't be enough to prevent him from flying, so I'd look to see if his other flight feathers are ok.
The abnormal feathers by themselves aren't too serious. You might try pulling them out gently (abnormal feathers often pull out easily) - if they don't pull out easily and are irritating him or getting in the way when he tries to fly, you could just trim them off. I think a vet visit to see why he can't fly would be best - unless it's something obvious, like the deformed feathers getting twisted when he flies and causing pain.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It looks kind of like angel wing. It's a malformation that happens when they're sill growing, usually because of a bad diet. I've only ever seen it in waterfowl and I've no idea if canaries can get it too, but maybe it's worth looking into.

If it really is angel wing I don' think the little one will ever fly, unfortunately. :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think some breeds of canaries can be prone to feather cysts, though I'm not sure if they would cause the feathers to stick out like that. I'd try to catch him and open his wings and just see if you can tell what's going on. A few abnormal flight feathers like that shouldn't be enough to prevent him from flying, so I'd look to see if his other flight feathers are ok.
Impossible to tell of course but that’d be my first guess. The reds seem more prone to feather cysts. Looking closely at the base of the feather, the cyst would be readily evident. You might want to take him to the vet if that’s the case - someone else on here took hers and the vet gave tips for caring for them.