• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What’s wrong with my lovebird

Dantep

Moving in
Real Name
Dante Pezzin
Hi everyone,
The past few weeks or so my female lovebird has had an unusual vent area. She spends her nights at the bottom of the cage or in a little container nest. Is this a serious problem. I don’t think it’s egg bound as that supposedly kills the bird within a few days but I’m not sure. Other than that, she seems fine just a little less active. Maybe just nesting behaviour? Thanks, Dante 25B4CDE8-1F4A-471D-82DF-40F24A36921D.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She could be nesty, hormonal, females have a large kinda pulsating vent when " horny"..and want to mate,,,if you feel her lower belly, if it's got a bulge in it, and a hard spot,, you'll feel it,,,then she'll have an eggie getting ready to come out..females dont need males to lay, they just will..keep an eye on her ..only you know her, .

Dantep

Moving in
Real Name
Dante Pezzin
Hi
She could be nesty, hormonal, females have a large kinda pulsating vent when " horny"..and want to mate,,,if you feel her lower belly, if it's got a bulge in it, and a hard spot,, you'll feel it,,,then she'll have an eggie getting ready to come out..females dont need males to lay, they just will..keep an eye on her ..only you know her, .
Hi, thanks for responding, so she has had very common signs of nesting including a bigger belly but when I rub my thumb over it there doesn’t seem to be an egg. She doesn’t have a partner btw. Is this a problem or is she ok?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi

Hi, thanks for responding, so she has had very common signs of nesting including a bigger belly but when I rub my thumb over it there doesn’t seem to be an egg. She doesn’t have a partner btw. Is this a problem or is she ok?
She could be " cooking " an egg in there, usually takes two to four days to lay, she doesn't need a male to lay..
@Zara
Oh, I see @Mizzely is here now,, let us know

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know much sadly! My guess is also cooking an egg, that doesn't mean egg bound. She also doesn't need a mate to produce an egg.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Definitely a hormonal thing. In the first pic, you can see her wings spread and tail up, it´s why the cloaca looks like that. If you look while she is not in that position, it will not be so promenant.
Though it doesn´t always mean eggs. Keep your eye out for a bulge appearing , that´s when you know eggs will follow. Once you see the egg shape bulge, it takes up to 24 hours to lay, if no egg after 48, time to go to the vet. There is a difference from being large down near the cloaca and having the ¨egg bulge¨, the latter being very visibly an egg shape.
Be very careful if you are touching the bulge, eggs are fragile in there. I personally don´t touch.

Do you have a profile picture (side on) of her perching normally?

Dantep

Moving in
Real Name
Dante Pezzin
Definitely a hormonal thing. In the first pic, you can see her wings spread and tail up, it´s why the cloaca looks like that. If you look while she is not in that position, it will not be so promenant.
Though it doesn´t always mean eggs. Keep your eye out for a bulge appearing , that´s when you know eggs will follow. Once you see the egg shape bulge, it takes up to 24 hours to lay, if no egg after 48, time to go to the vet. There is a difference from being large down near the cloaca and having the ¨egg bulge¨, the latter being very visibly an egg shape.
Be very careful if you are touching the bulge, eggs are fragile in there. I personally don´t touch.

Do you have a profile picture (side on) of her perching normally?
thankyou for your help, here is a side on view

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks a little bulged. Or is she just poofy in the pic?