• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We've got fleas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
ANY shampoo will wash the fleas off your dog. The problem is that if your dog has fleas then you have them in your house and they will keep jumping right back on.

What happens is this...a female flea gets on your dog from somewhere. She takes a blood meal and lays her eggs. The eggs will roll off the dog and land all over your house. The eggs will hatch into larvae. The larvae will then crawl for dark places and spin into what is called the pupa stage. They can stay in this stage for years. When the pupa senses a meal is close by...change in temp, humidity and even vibrations...they hatch out and jump onto the host. They can hatch and jump within seconds. And the cycle continues.

The best way to get rid of them is to treat the animal and the home. Many people will also treat the outside where the dog goes the most. Bathe the dog starting from the head and work your way back. The fleas will run from the soap and water so if you start at the back, they will run to the head and they're harder to get off there. Then, start using a good preventative product on the dog. Lots of people use Frontline. I prefer Advantix for my dogs. Our property is wooded so this product also protects against ticks.

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!!! Vacuum every day and pay close attention to dark, out of the way places like behind doors and behind and under furniture. Throw the bag away outside the house. Also vacuum your furniture..under cushions. Even doing the draperies will help.

There are sprays on the market that do great at killing fleas and larvae. There is no product that can kill the pupa stage. So, it's important to repeat the treatment on the house about 3-4 weeks later. With the spray, again, pay close attention to dar and out of the way places.

Wash dog bedding very frequently in hot water.

Every spring, I start my dogs on monthly Advantix. So, I never even get the flea issue. I keep them on it until the first good, killing frost.

Good luck!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I was told NEVER to put a flea collar in your vacuum, because it is still toxic to the birds that way, the vacuum blows the smell of the flea collar out while your using it

I've also heard Garlic works great, not just for pets and fleas, but if us humans eat it, we're not supposed to get bit my misquotes :D

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Nothing stops me from getting eaten by mosquitoes, trust me! I love garlic too :lol:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Nothing stops me from getting eaten by mosquitoes, trust me! I love garlic too :lol:

lol I didn't know if it worked or not, I just tend to stay in side once they start coming out because they LOVE ME and they love me a little too much for my liking lol

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

lol I didn't know if it worked or not, I just tend to stay in side once they start coming out because they LOVE ME and they love me a little too much for my liking lol
They say they like blondes and they like people who talk a lot because they are attracted to carbon dioxide...so I've got it coming to me one way or the other :lol:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

They say they like blondes and they like people who talk a lot because they are attracted to carbon dioxide...so I've got it coming to me one way or the other :lol:
Oooo That would explain it partially I've dyed my hair blond since I was 14 and i'm sure they don't realize i'm not natural LOL but I don't talk alot lol

but I'm "sweet" LOL (inserts HUGE devil here)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Oooo That would explain it partially I've dyed my hair blond since I was 14 and i'm sure they don't realize i'm not natural LOL but I don't talk alot lol

but I'm "sweet" LOL (inserts HUGE devil here)
:rofl:

Heatherb3385

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I've recently had to go through the same thing with my 4 dogs and 2 cats. The construction around my house is driving rats into the neighborhoods worse than ever and I believe with them came the fleas. Anyways I agree with absolutly not using hartz or sergents flea meds they are just toxic. I never had much luck with the frontline, advantge ect and with so many it gets expensive!

My solution? Dawn dish soap. And lots of vaccuming! Flea shampoos can be very harsh on your pets skin since most of them contain pesticides. When you bathe your dog the flea puts on an oil barrier to keep from drowning. Since dawn cuts through grease, it kills those little buggers and is safer to use more frequently than flea shampoos. My vet recommended the dawn.

Always clean out your vaccum throughly (filters and all) and I use "no pest strips" in the mud room where the dogs go in and out and in another corner of the house (make sure no pets come in contact with it of course).

Hope you are flea-free soon! I know it can be so frustrating.

Ps. Flea collars are a waste of money and you can add some garlic in your pets food to help ward off the fleas.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Ok. Vacuuming, got it. Thanks for all the advice. It's been VERY helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.