• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wet nares in the morning?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This morning when Blu woke up both of his nares looked wet. I've noticed this happen once or twice before.

It always happens first thing in the morning and once it dries it looks clear and fine. He doesn't have wet sneezes, that I can tell, and he acts perfectly healthy.

Could that be normal and harmless, by any chance? Wet nares only in the morning?

I scheduled a vet vist for him a long time ago, for this coming Tues, to discuss his feathers looking unzipped. But I was planning on cancelling that cause his feathers look pretty good now (finally) Should I keep that appointment?

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
If you are concerned, I would keep the appointment.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it after he drinks water? My birds sometimes snort water through their nares to clean out their nasal passages.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I was also going to suggest it might be from water, but if you're concerned maybe you should take him in.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
see your vet

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
see your vet
I concur, see your vet. I remember back when I first got my Kady (new to parrots then) he had the same issue. I was positive he wasn't having wet sneezes, but he actually was and had a sinus issue going on that needed treatment.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks everyone! I don't think it was from drinking water but I guess it could be possible.

I was really hoping not to go to the vet but if you all think I should, I will.

Thanks!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Thanks everyone! I don't think it was from drinking water but I guess it could be possible.

I was really hoping not to go to the vet but if you all think I should, I will.

Thanks!
It can't hurt to keep the appointment if he's due for an annual or it's been a while since he's seen a vet. Occasional wet nares can be a normal thing for birds, multiple times a day or if the discharge isn't clear would be causes for concern.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm always stuffy as soon as I wake up. Once I'm up, it's fine. I don't know the time period for "Once or twice" but if it's infrequent I'd personally not be worried. Noses are designed to expel stuff on a daily basis, doesn't always mean we're sick!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm always stuffy as soon as I wake up. Once I'm up, it's fine. I don't know the time period for "Once or twice" but if it's infrequent I'd personally not be worried. Noses are designed to expel stuff on a daily basis, doesn't always mean we're sick!
I was going to say the same thing. :hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
While he is at the vet, the doctor can check out his feathers and you can ask him/her any questions you have.
Just a thought.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It can't hurt to keep the appointment if he's due for an annual or it's been a while since he's seen a vet. Occasional wet nares can be a normal thing for birds, multiple times a day or if the discharge isn't clear would be causes for concern.
Thank you so much! We are due for our next annual in Sept and I honestly just have this inner instinct that it's no big deal so it made me feel good to read that response.

Thank you! This has happened yesterday, then once like 2 months ago, then maybe 2 months prior so it's definitely not frequent.

I was going to say the same thing. :hug8:
Thank you.

While he is at the vet, the doctor can check out his feathers and you can ask him/her any questions you have.
Just a thought.
Thank you! I'm happy to say his feathers finally look fine. I believe they unzipped because he likes to sleep with a hard toy as a canopy on his back.

I cancelled the appointment and I'm just going to keep an eye on him for now. In my heart, I really believe he's fine. I will definitely take him in if I suspect anything might me wrong and just plan on taking him in for our regular annual for now.

Thanks everyone!!