• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Westie with Mast Cell Tumor

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
has anyone had any experience with a dog having a Mast Cell Tumor? Our sweet Westie has one on her back leg, it seemed to come out of nowhere but we may not have noticed it until it filled with fluid around it.....
The entire thing is at max the size of a 1/2 golfball. Fluid filled sack, not sure how big the actual tumor is or if the whole thing is actually tumor. It must not have been there 10 weeks ago when she was there at the groomers or they would have noticed it. Plus I had bathed her since then and didn't notice it. We found it a few weeks ago and I took her in this past Friday for her routine shots, physical and to be groomed. They aspirated it and said its a Mast Cell Tumor and needs to come out in the next few weeks. I didn't want to wait so I scheduled it right away. She goes tomorrow.
We now have her on Benadryl twice a day and true to what I have read on MC tumors, the fluid seems to be decreasing. This dog has been strange the past year or so, randomly not interested in eating but we never found anything wrong and she never acted like she felt poorly at all. They say these tumors can cause increased acid secretion in the stomach so that worries me....never noticed any vomiting until last night. Looked like just stomach acid....
So worried. This is the sweetest dog. Anyone have any experience ?

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I have no experience but just wanted to say I'll be praying for you and the westie. I'm so sorry to hear you are both going through this bad time. Hopefully you'll get information soon.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No experience with a dog having a Mast Cell Tumor but I'm sending positive thoughts your way that the surgery goes well and she has a quick recovery.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
My sister had a pug with a mast cell tumor. The dog had surgery and lived a full life.
Good luck to you!

Lisidou

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
image.jpg
Poor thing.....they really had to go big to get enough of a flap to sew it back closed. Praying the pathology comes back that it was just stage 1 and they got it all.....

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope she's OK!!:hug8:

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Poor baby!! I really hope the outcome is good!!
:bluhug:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Even if it is the lower grade stage 2 she can still have a long and very normal life aside from the benadryl and watching out for more masses. The histopathology will tell you how good the margins are, and if the tumor was completely excised. That's unfortunately impossible to tell without a pathologist reviewing the mass. Have you had x-rays done to check for metastasis? It sounds like you're doing all the right things, hopefully her recovery will be uneventful, it's tricky when they're on the leg like that. Keep her calm and give her lots of snuggles!

Lisidou

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
We should get the path report back by Friday....we will look for mets depending on those results.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel1::hug8:

Lisidou

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Sweet Chloe is doing so well! The hardest thing is trying to keep her from being too active and damaging that ugly suture line.
She HATES the cone of shame but will lick if it's off so she is stuck in the thing until I he sutures are removed.....
Hoping and praying for good results. Should hear on that tomorrow or Friday.....