• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Western Australian aviculture licences and exemptions

puffthemagicweirdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oscar
Here are the licenses required for birds allowed to be kept in Western Australia.
If its not on either of these two lists (one is for exotic species the other is for natives) its probably not allowed to be kept, however you can email the Department of Parks And Wildlife(DPAW) (there name changes all the time) to find out as i don't think the list is completely comprehensive, make sure to mention that its not on the list (otherwise they will just look at this list themselves and see its not on there and just tell you its not allowed without looking any further) they would have to do some kind of threat evaluation for a specific species e.g risk to agriculture ect.

I think the general consensus is that if it was already being kept here when they introduced the licensing scheme then it was allowed to be kept here except for high threat species and if it wasn't already being kept here
then its not allowed.

There is actually a record of what bird species are known to have been brought to Australia somewhere out there on a gov website.

Western Australia is notoriously strict on its bio-security so birds you can keep in other states often require permits here, some birds allowed in other states aren't allowed here period. there are valid reasons why the birds you may keep here are so strict but it is my thinking that if they are going to be so strict on what you can and cant have then they should do a better job of providing information on what can and cannot be kept (provide a comprehensive list)

Attachments

Last edited: