• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That was a great photo! ♥
And what a good boy he is. I have said this before but I say it again.
You are doing a really good job with him. ♥

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They look so sweet together.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
You have such a little gem in Tinker. Keep exposing him to new things as often as you can, so he keeps that open and accepting nature!

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
This is just precious. I love seeing the birds with children. Reminds me of my childhood when I had a quaker. :)
My mother bred Budgies, Canaries and Cockatiels for years. It was great fun working with them.

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
My mother breed Budgies, Canaries and Cockatiels for years. It was great fun working with them.
Yes, theyre very cute and fun birds :) I ended up giving my Quaker to my grandma because mom made me get rid of him. I was too young to have any say so in it. Theyre sweet though, and mine actually talked. He would bite and then laugh at you. :rofl:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He loves it when we have guests over for a visit. He also avoids people who are wary of birds.
Everyone else is fair game for a step up.
Aww I love that. Your Tinker is really blossoming. My Linnie is the same, so happy to step up for visitors. It makes me feel like I've done a good job helping her to trust the world.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well this afternoon they called to say his new cage was in so off to the city we went. Three hour round trip in rain and rush hour LOL, the things we endure for or FIDS.
While there we got a round swing for him. Hehehe this was the first time we brought anything into the house he was really wary of and refused to even fly over it. We placed it on the island beside his corner platform for the new cage. Off and on for about an hour I played with it telling him it's ok.
Here he is checking it out for the first time then he saw the recycled basket full and he went straight for that. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This morning Tinker watched as I assembled the new cage. He was avoiding all the parts laid out but he watched the whole thing. Getting him into it will be another story but we have decided to just leave it so he can see it from his old cage for a couple of days then if the weather is good put him outside and make the transition.
We need to move the couch and love seat around to accommodate the extra 12 inches because we want it in the same corner. Easy spot to get at and vacuum up. Will do that later today.

This is his old cage.

This is the new one.

Both of these are Prevue Hendryx cages. Well made and very easy to put together.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Beautiful new cage! :heart: Tinker

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very nice and spacious! I just got a new cage for my Linnie. I filled it with mostly doubles of what was in her current cage to help with the transition. I put her on and in a few times over 3 days. She seemed interested and ready but I was so worried on her first night in there. She paced for a while when I dimmed her lights and made little noises. Kind of like a dog when you leave it alone. I slept terribly that night, worrying for her. But a few days later she is adjusting well. She is all over the cage, even on the bottom which she never did in her last cage. Good luck Tinker! I hope you love your new mansion!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker spent two hours in his new cage while we went out for supper today. I made the change over while we were outside in the aviary. When we brought him in he didn't want to get out of the pet carrier. He stuck his head out and was eyeing the new cage in his corner. LOL
A sunflower seed got him out.
Twenty minutes later I put him in his new cage and he didn't fuss hardly at all then settled down. I hope he decides to sleep on the corner platform I put in instead of the bottom.

He flew into the first bedroom down the hallway today. Teresa was looking for him and there he was sitting on the bed looking around. Guess it's time to start getting used to shutting doors again. I'm not making every room parrot safe. Guess we treat it like the young grand-kids are here for the summer. OH the things we do for our FIDS.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He didn't want to come in since it was great weather today with a nice warm breeze blowing through the aviary. Here he is enjoying one of the last nice days before the snow flies.
20180928_162413.jpg

Tinker decided that he hates the flower part of Broccoli but loves the juicy insides of the stems.
20180927_164140.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Guess it's time to start getting used to shutting doors again. I'm not making every room parrot safe.
That is the only room here that are MINE. (The bedroom) And they are only allowed to be their on my shoulder. So I close that door. It works too. :)
When we brought him in he didn't want to get out of the pet carrier. He stuck his head out and was eyeing the new cage in his corner. LOL
Sometimes they are not brave at all. :D

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Sometimes they are not brave at all.
Well he got over it soon enough. Climbed his ladder to get to the perch and sat there for 20 minutes.
He's now on the bottom sleeping again. I might move that platform down lower tomorrow and see if he uses it.
Tomorrow is one of those human days when we are in and out all day so he's going to become very familiar with his new cage.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucky baby! Very nice indeed!!!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I missed a lot of updates!!!! Love them! Sweet Tinker:heart::heart::heart: There is Some great upbringing going on here!