• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
So today I'm up early to get ready for the Annual General Meeting for our club. I gget my breakfast first then put out Tinkers. All's good as he wolf.s down his chop with some pellets that I soaked over night. He doesn't like the pellets hard but will demolish the hard fruity pellets that are three times the size.

Then the excising by flying starts. He swooped over by the smiley face balloon and it moved quite a bit with the air flow. Tinker squawked and made a bad turn down to the lower level of the house (Raised Bungalow). Well there he is sitting on the floor in the dark chirping for some directions on what to do. I had to rescue him LOL.
When I got home this afternoon Teresa said he has not attempted to land there or on the cabinets all day.

I will take this as a win for me for now.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
We weigh him periodically and he is growing well. He was 371 grams on August 10 and he came in at 440 grams Sept 12th. I think he is going to be a big boy in a few weeks at this rate. Not sure what they top out at.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Love seeing your pics of Tinker! I really need to get a scale to start weighing all my birdies.
Fynn eats like a little piggy, so I'm sure that he's gained some weight since arriving here a few weeks ago.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Tinker is quite a handsome fella.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well tonight was nail clipping night. Every time he comes and lands on my hand his talons draw my blood.
Since we got him I have been turning him on his back on my knees and playing with his feet. It's now a game with him and he always gets a Nutriberrie afterwards.

Well what a palaver this turned out to be but we got them all done even though he pulled when I went to clip and we got the wick. Ouch he squawked :blahblah:and squirmed something terrible. But through the whole ordeal he beaked me quite a bit but never once hurt me, not even a pinch. Good Tinker.

In the meantime I have blood allover my fingers as I'm putting flour in a damp paper towel trying to hold it on the nail that is dripping.:omg: He's giving me the devil for the two minutes:blahblah: or so I refused to let him go till it stopped bleeding.

Fifteen minutes later he is preening all the ruffled feathers:ballerina: and when he finished he flew over and wanted a neck scratch.:hug8:

Guess he has forgiven me for the torture.:heart:

Sleeping like a baby now on the bottom of his cage as always. :highfive:

Been 40 odd years since I had human babies in the house, wish I was 30 years younger right now. LOL
Well not really, I like being a Great Grandpa whose Grand children trust me to look after their babies when needed.
Advanced first aid comes in handy with them as well. :smuggrin:

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is why I file them instead.
Grey's that are sensitive just like Pionus, you don't want them to struggle and get overheated.
What flour did you use? I use potato flour. Better then corn.
I put a lot of flour on my finger tip and then just press it hard to the bleeding for at least 10 seconds. The key is that you must have so much flour so it will both soak up all the blood and that you will have the dry flour (without any wet blood) to the bleeding source.
Guess he has forgiven me for the torture.:heart:
He will remember this so teach him to accept you to filing his claws instead. It is always so much better that you don't hurt them or force them so even if it takes him month to accept you to filing his claws, it is so worth it.

If I need to cut, I will make a vet appointment. If something goes wrong and you cut to much I have the vet to far away and they will be dead before I arrive. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That is why I file them instead.
Grey's that are sensitive just like Pionus, you don't want them to struggle and get overheated.
What flour did you use? I use potato flour. Better then corn.
I put a lot of flour on my finger tip and then just press it hard to the bleeding for at least 10 seconds. The key is that you must have so much flour so it will both soak up all the blood and that you will have the dry flour (without any wet blood) to the bleeding source.

He will remember this so teach him to accept you to filing his claws instead. It is always so much better that you don't hurt them or force them so even if it takes him month to accept you to filing his claws, it is so worth it.

If I need to cut, I will make a vet appointment. If something goes wrong and you cut to much I have the vet to far away and they will be dead before I arrive. Not a risk I'm willing to take.
I have filed them but he struggles even more when I do that. I used rice flour to stop the bleeding as that works well even on humans and is what I carry on hunting and fishing trips.

I always clipped my Amazon years ago since any vets here for our Avian friends are only in the city hours away. We need to be ready for any emergency.

It hasn't bled since as I expected, I will leave it for a month or so as the wick will retreat back as it heals.

Tomorrow I will put him on his back to play with his feet and see how he reacts. I expect he will be fine but I will let you know.
As for over heating I don't believe he did at all. He has been much warmer to the touch after an hour of flying around the house getting his skills honed.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Congrats on your new addition it sounds like a great match!! BTW he is a doll.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It hasn't bled since as I expected, I will leave it for a month or so as the wick will retreat back as it heals.
The wick will retreat much faster. You can start to file it in one or two weeks.
And when I say that you should learn him to accept it, he should give you his foot and after every claw that you file he will get his favorite treat.
It can take month for him to accent that, so start training today. :)

As for over heating I don't believe he did at all. He has been much warmer to the touch after an hour of flying around the house getting his skills honed.
That was more something I said so you should be careful about in the future. And that kind of over heating that they made to themselves isn't the same.
When they panic if you are holding them, they will struggle to get loose and also their heart rate will erase to more dangerous levels. And from that they can die.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahwww I love Tinker updates soo much! I am not ready for such a nig commitment for maaaany years if ever, so I love having a little view into your journey with Tinker:heart:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today was Fall Fair day so Tinker had to stay in his cage. Well it got so hot and humid we headed home north of the fair and away from the lake. Whew hotter than you know what 89F but feels like 100F. So I spent the afternoon inside with him while he watched me vacuum and mob the floors.

We then had a play time where he actually rolled over while I tickled under his wings and played with his feet. All the time saying pretty boy and what is clearly Tinker now. He then napped.

He then went digging though some pebbles in a dog dish looking for bits of Zucchini and sunflower seeds.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
The wick will retreat much faster. You can start to file it in one or two weeks.
And when I say that you should learn him to accept it, he should give you his foot and after every claw that you file he will get his favorite treat.
It can take month for him to accent that, so start training today. :)

That was more something I said so you should be careful about in the future. And that kind of over heating that they made to themselves isn't the same.
When they panic if you are holding them, they will struggle to get loose and also their heart rate will erase to more dangerous levels. And from that they can die.
I will give it another try with the file in a week but leave that one alone for another week. I hope I can teach him to accept it.

He was not panicking to get away just telling me off. But I will be more careful in the future.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well it's been a busy week what with fishing, grass and playing with tinker. I wish I had a video of him tonight as he flew over and ponced on my hand and proceeded to act like he was tearing my fingers to shreds and then ran across the table to get away. So it looked like play time and I chased him to the island where he found a ice cream lid ready for the recycle bin.
Here he is trying to keep it away from me.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Hahaha love him running away with the Sorbet lid! Very cute!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well it's been a busy week what with fishing, grass and playing with tinker. I wish I had a video of him tonight as he flew over and ponced on my hand and proceeded to act like he was tearing my fingers to shreds and then ran across the table to get away. So it looked like play time and I chased him to the island where he found a ice cream lid ready for the recycle bin.
Here he is trying to keep it away from me.

It's MINE I tell you all MINE - bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa :devil: