• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
True but Tinker's breeder might have/know of a U.S. breeder she could refer you to.
I talked with him today and he doesn't know any breeders in the US at all. He has also never exported any birds and doesn't plan on doing so. He and his wife are in their mid 70s and only plan on one more breeding with the pair they have now next season, the other pair has stopped breeding two years ago.
They are the removing the nesting equipment and letting the adults enjoy the 20' by 16' sun room for however long they can.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker was being a nuisance at supper time so I gave him some cage time. I also put the sports camera in front of his cage. I'm still trying to figure this camera out so excuse the poor video. I have no idea why I got some strange noise near the end either. I wish I had set it up before I caged him as he was laying on his back screaming and kicking the bell.
Maybe next time.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Tinker is so adorable :heart:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This last couple of days Tinker has decided that Yellow zucchini is not his favorite snack anymore and flings it as far as he can.LOL
He wants a ring of slightly cooked corn on the cop. Wolfs that down as if he had been starving for a week. He has also decided he wants his bean chop first thing instead of his dried parrot mix of grains and seeds.

He has been outside everyday since I got his 48 X 77" aviary put together and he has inspected every corner. He even climbed to the peak upside down. Nothing seems to bother him with all the outdoor noises.

His flying is become very good now and he can make pin point landings. He finally got the nerve to land on the ledge in the front entrance way. I can't reach him up there and have to use the 8' step ladder to get him down. I have plastic plants up there for decoration and he is ripping them apart.

Not quite sure how I can keep him from flying to that spot or just not bother and let him have it.

Anyone have any ides?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I wouldn't "let him have it"... parrots and platic plants don't mix well, lots of short little indigestible fibers just waiting to be swallowed. TBH, that's the sort of thing I would either relocate to a 'non-birdy' room or just get rid of, personally.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't "let him have it"... parrots and platic plants don't mix well, lots of short little indigestible fibers just waiting to be swallowed. TBH, that's the sort of thing I would either relocate to a 'non-birdy' room or just get rid of, personally.
Oh for sure I'm removing the plants but how do you keep them from landing up on the ledge? It is not a spot to easily clean either.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Make it uninteresting, and pray? :lol:
LOL yeah I know what you mean. Right now he is wolfing down his chop.
I'm thinking of putting my 12 inch oscillating fan up near the edge he lands on. I will remove the fan blades and just have it go back and forth.
I really don't want him up there as it is right above the front door.

X Fingers.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Were it my last Grey, I know exactly how I would have done it.... Put a box up there. Just a plain, carboard box, like an Amazon box. She H-A-T-E-D boxes of all sorts. :lol:
Well I put the fan up without removing the blades or turning it on and so far he has diverted his flight plan three times. Not sure how long it will last though.

I will try the box thing if he becomes used to the fan and builds up the courage to land.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Your other option would be to put up a valance (short curtain) across the open area. It'll be a little nicer looking than boxes but my fids come to a screeching halt when flying around in a panic due to hawks in the back garden. I presently use a sheer curtain in the hallway that leads to the front room and door. Even my gccs (who are the most daring) will come to wheeling turn when faced with the curtain. Of course, in my case, the tiels just walk past it when the breeze blows the curtain askew.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I fasten some transparent oil cloth/or colored curtain that goes from the roof to the places I don't want them on. It all depends on the place.
If that is not enough I am so mean so I'm placing, empty pet bottles their, and when they try to land the bottles will fall down or just blocked them and they don't like it.
I never place something that can hurt them, so pet bottles has been a success for me if curtains doesn't work.
I rather block them with something then enter a game I can't win. (telling them to fly down or move them...)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I talked with him today and he doesn't know any breeders in the US at all. He has also never exported any birds and doesn't plan on doing so. He and his wife are in their mid 70s and only plan on one more breeding with the pair they have now next season, the other pair has stopped breeding two years ago.
They are the removing the nesting equipment and letting the adults enjoy the 20' by 16' sun room for however long they can.

I know of an excellent breeder here in San Diego! His birds are a bit pricey, but they are amazing quality. He doesn't believe in clipping wings, either.
He's the senior bird keeper of the San Diego zoo. I got Maalik from him, and then acquired another baby grey 2 weeks ago (rehomed) who is from the same breeder.
He ships, too!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I fasten some transparent oil cloth/or colored curtain that goes from the roof to the places I don't want them on. It all depends on the place.
If that is not enough I am so mean so I'm placing, empty pet bottles their, and when they try to land the bottles will fall down or just blocked them and they don't like it.
I never place something that can hurt them, so pet bottles has been a success for me if curtains doesn't work.
I rather block them with something then enter a game I can't win. (telling them to fly down or move them...)
I like your Ideas. The fan just sitting there is working but who knows for how long.
I put a box on top of my china cabinet that lasted all of 20 minutes so the bottle idea is next.
Trying to outsmart him is better than my morning crossword. LOL

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If Tink likes boxes you can save yourself a lot of money by giving him empty tissue boxes to mangle. I remove the plastic "liner" from the inside and give our empty boxes to our sun who dutifully shreds them for us. Somebody once asked me where I got the material for the bottom of Tikki's playstand and laughed when I told them what it was. Wine boxes are also a favourite not just for chewing but climbing into too.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Hehe... Most birds like boxes fine, I have no idea why Isoke hated them so much. Moving a big box past her cage had her going into full fury display, wings out and down and the most horrid growl-screaming. :rofl: I had to learn to take boxes the long way around so as not to pass in front of her cage.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
If Tink likes boxes you can save yourself a lot of money by giving him empty tissue boxes to mangle. I remove the plastic "liner" from the inside and give our empty boxes to our sun who dutifully shreds them for us. Somebody once asked me where I got the material for the bottom of Tikki's playstand and laughed when I told them what it was. Wine boxes are also a favourite not just for chewing but climbing into too.
He gets every box we have and I have a box of boxes for the future. He loves to shred egg cartons as well.