• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Glad everything is still going smoothly!:dance5: She gets cuter every time:heart:
Maybe you could work on harnass training now too, so later she can come outside with you all:)
Yes the harness training is on the menu. He lets me lay it on his back and rub his beak with it. If he grabs it I say, No Bite and he stops.
I can cover his head with my hand and he likes it. Sometimes he will sit and snooze like that.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He's been looking down the hall for Andrea to come all evening making peeping sounds. I think he misses her but since she is a 12 hour drive away that won't happen again till Christmas.

On a good note I weighed him tonight while he was quiet. Since August 15th at 377 Grams he has climbed to 400 grams August 20th. He's been eating like a horse so I guess it's to be expected.

Oh and he let me take the nail file to that very pointy beak of his tonight. Will save me from some scratches I hope. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes the harness training is on the menu. He lets me lay it on his back and rub his beak with it. If he grabs it I say, No Bite and he stops.
I can cover his head with my hand and he likes it. Sometimes he will sit and snooze like that.
Yayy that’s a start already! I like having rehomed/rescued birds but harness training would be a lot easier with a baby:xflove:

You are doing so well with training! Teaching him those good habits now is terrific!
Whaha the little stinker has defiantly been pigging out then:embarassed: That’s what we like to see:D

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Early start today as we had to go away for the morning. Tinker got up right away and did his morning routine and pigged out as usual.
Then it was back in his cage till 11am.

Today he let me slip the harness over his head with no fuss mess or growls at all. First time a total success. I left it that way for a minute then removed it.
I figure a few tries of that over the next day or two then we go for the wing lift.
He already lets me lift his wings and pet him there so I'm thinking it will go ok.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Early start today as we had to go away for the morning. Tinker got up right away and did his morning routine and pigged out as usual.
Then it was back in his cage till 11am.

Today he let me slip the harness over his head with no fuss mess or growls at all. First time a total success. I left it that way for a minute then removed it.
I figure a few tries of that over the next day or two then we go for the wing lift.
He already lets me lift his wings and pet him there so I'm thinking it will go ok.
My last grey didn't need any training at all to let me harness her lol... I'd been handling her and manipulating her wings and feet for weeks, and I just plopped the harness on her with no fuss. She beaked it a bit the first few times - curiosity kind of beaking, basically 'wtf is this?' - but didn't show any signs of distress. And she did love going outside with it <3

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
My last grey didn't need any training at all to let me harness her lol... I'd been handling her and manipulating her wings and feet for weeks, and I just plopped the harness on her with no fuss. She beaked it a bit the first few times - curiosity kind of beaking, basically 'wtf is this?' - but didn't show any signs of distress. And she did love going outside with it <3
That is great!
I will play around a bit more but hope to get him harnessed by the weekend.
He let me flip him on his back tonight so I could clean some poop he dragged his tail through without even a squeak. I'm thinking this will go well.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Ok today was a regular day but thought I would show you Tinker chomping down on his bean chop we cooked for him this week. He loves it at room temp.

After he is finished he wants his beak washed, :)

He also took is fist bath today with no coaching from me at all. I put the dish out, he looked and jumped right in for 10 minutes. I think he needs a bigger one so off to the dollar store tomorrow.

I have a short video from my phone of him bathing so as soon as I figure out how to put it up I will.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good boy! :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Day 3 and already a precious cuddle bug taking naps with head under your hand - Ohhhhh the cuteness! And look at that boy bathe - wow! Congrats, he looks like a true sweetheart!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Day 3 and already a precious cuddle bug taking naps with head under your hand - Ohhhhh the cuteness! And look at that boy bathe - wow! Congrats, he looks like a true sweetheart!
Well today he decided to be a bit cranky.
He said no to the nail file.
He then found the buttons on my shirt. Never wore a shirt with buttons before when handling him.
The little bugger wouldn't release the button with the NO bite command and growled at me then nipped my finger as I tried to remove it from his beak. No blood though.

I put him on his play station and ignored him for 30 minutes. He finally flew over to me for a quick cuddle then back to his toys.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Well today he decided to be a bit cranky.
He said no to the nail file.
He then found the buttons on my shirt. Never wore a shirt with buttons before when handling him.
The little bugger wouldn't release the button with the NO bite command and growled at me then nipped my finger as I tried to remove it from his beak. No blood though.

I put him on his play station and ignored him for 30 minutes. He finally flew over to me for a quick cuddle then back to his toys.
Welcome to Owning a Grey, #347. :lol: I eventually got rid of all my clothes that had buttons, beads, or sequins. They can get vicious in their desire for the little shiny!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Ok It's been fun yesterday and today. He has started to say Pretty Bird, not perfect but definitely that's what he is saying. Also doing many vocalizations we have no idea where they are from.
I looked up from my computer and he is perched on the top of the spray bottle I used to spray him with. Never saw him climb up though.

I did manage to get a little video of him though.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well it's been a busy few days in this household. I've been at shooting matches and Teresa has been finishing her Yoga teachers courses.
Tinker has taken it all in stride and is getting used to the in and out of his cage for a few hours at a time.
He has finally and quite clearly said "pretty boy" several times the last couple of days :)

I gave in and let him have the top of the fridge for his look out. He dances around in circles and chatters away like a drunken sailor so how could you refuse. He decided he wanted to beak the rubber door seal so I made a guard from some left over Lexan and used double sided tape to hold it down.

Here he is looking to dive bomb my camera.

I have a sport camera coming next week so I am hoping to get some flying and landing shots.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Well it's been a busy few days in this household. I've been at shooting matches and Teresa has been finishing her Yoga teachers courses.
Tinker has taken it all in stride and is getting used to the in and out of his cage for a few hours at a time.
He has finally and quite clearly said "pretty boy" several times the last couple of days :)

I gave in and let him have the top of the fridge for his look out. He dances around in circles and chatters away like a drunken sailor so how could you refuse. He decided he wanted to beak the rubber door seal so I made a guard from some left over Lexan and used double sided tape to hold it down.

Here he is looking to dive bomb my camera.

I have a sport camera coming next week so I am hoping to get some flying and landing shots.

I love that last picture. The look of determination and intent is awesome.