• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
It can be the voice. Let's hope for that and get well soon. :)
We were thinking the same thing as It gets worse as the day gets on. Teresa is going to take over for now so we will see what happens. I'm basically going to avoid any contact.

He got me again in the soft part of my forearm tonight when he stepped up.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Even though the little devil is hounding me I still love him to bits.
Tonight he was on the counter and says, "Tinkers OK, Tinker go PooPoo" and proceeds to dump one on the floor.
I said to him the other day that Tinkers a Pooper, he has repeated that several times.

Thank goodness we don't use the F bombs around here. I will keep him out of my shop for sure.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This morning was a better morning. No lunging at me and he stepped up when I went to get him out of his cage.
I cleaned his cage up and he just watched and talked.

These are his flight feathers this last three weeks.
Oh and his last baby tail feather. He has finally got a full red tail.

20190923_223452.jpg

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
After all the storms rolled through yesterday, today was a gorgeous day.
Tinker spend a good part of the day in his aviary.
He also spent an hour talking to a blue jay who talked back. You could tell that both were listening to each other by the way they cocked their heads to the side. Tinker would chirp twice then the Jay would chirp twice.
I just sat there and watched.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't like pumpkin
A make a mash with them. I don't eat them as they are.

1/4 potatoes
1/4 sweet potatoes
1/4 carrots
1/4 pumpkin

Boil (add the pumpkin and sweet potatoes last)
Mash with raw eggs and butter. (real butter)
Add honey, salt and lemon pepper. (remove the salt and butter if Tinker also should have)

Serve with cold smoked ham. Yummy! :eat:

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
He also spent an hour talking to a blue jay who talked back. You could tell that both were listening to each other by the way they cocked their heads to the side. Tinker would chirp twice then the Jay would chirp twice.
I love reading your stories. I'm hoping to get my 24 year-old CAG to fly more. Her wings were clipped the first 10 years of her life and same with her 2 companion parrots. I don't know about her free flying around the house, but we'll see. When we had an aviary, and wings were not clipped none of them flew! They just sat on their separate perches as if they were in a cage. Same with their play stand. Now that I'm retired, I get to spend a lot more time with her and hope to get her exercising her wings. She's a great climber.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here we are almost two weeks since I posted.
Tinker seems to have slowed up a bit with his molting. Last week you would think we had a pillow fight LOL.

He has also stopped treating my like a chew toy. Thank goodness as that was a real PITA to go through.
I'm hoping that taking @Eloy suggestion and getting away from him for a few days changed his attitude.

The last three days Tinker seems to have got the idea that when I say Dads going to work, that it's time to go to his day station and wait for me, I then say step up and he freely goes into his cage. No fuss no struggles.
X fingers this keep up as I hate having to darken the room and pick him up.

He now says:
David go to work.
"Where is David" when I leave the room.
Tinkers on his perch.
Tinker goes outside. He says this when I leave the garden door open to his safety area, or first stage of his outside aviary and flies out the door.

I also bought a baby camera that works real cool and I can check up on him when we are away using my phone. Haven't talked to him through it yet as I'm concerned it might spook him if I'm not here. I need to now set it up to capture him talking and playing. Videos will come soon. :)

I also had to get a new laptop as my 10+ year old one just went dead while it was running. No power lights, nothing. I took it apart and two capacitors were bulged and burnt. This took me a few days to get the new Acer up and running. Thank goodness I was able to get all my files off the hard drive. All is good now. Well mostly.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Good to know its molting season. Paco has been dropping feathers lately and I was afraid he was plucking again. His chest, neck and tail feathers are.coming in nicely. Since its molting season, will he lose them?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Good to know its molting season. Paco has been dropping feathers lately and I was afraid he was plucking again. His chest, neck and tail feathers are.coming in nicely. Since its molting season, will he lose them?
He won't lose the new one's till the next molting period.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Yesterday we got a new set of words. Teresa lets him shred the flyers that come in while she reads the ones she wants. She hands him the red ones as he likes red things.
While she is reading she has been saying "Tinker read the paper"

Yep you guessed it, Tinker now says Tinker reads the paper. He also said David reads the paper 10 minutes ago when I was picking up the papers for recycle.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Oh good, I was hoping you would say that. Do they only molt once a year? I seem to think it was twice a year.
My previous experience is they have stages of molting several times a year. It takes time to grow new feathers so till new one's grow back in the others wait before they fall out.

Tinkers tail looked like a broken comb for weeks then the new feathers came in and the older baby feathers dropped. The next group came in quickly. It's like his main flight feathers. He lost four and I can see new ones starting. He won't molt the rest till they are grown in.