• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco is still a picky eater, sigh, we have our days. Can't get him to go near a leafy green veggie. Love the photo of Tinker in the sink with the spinach.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I was thinking of trying skewers, not sure if they would freak Paco out or not.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I was thinking of trying skewers, not sure if they would freak Paco out or not.
Can't hurt to try terri, they get used to it in time.
Both mine have. I put Apple halves, peppers, and/or veggies or fruit. Change the variety up differently so it's not always the same thing.
And they munch on it. Sometimes my grey just likes to chew it up and spit it out on floor....all in the name of fun!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Michael. He just has his moods I guess. Now he doesn't like almonds, (I thought they were his favorite) so now he nibbles on pellets. I can tell he is still a seed lover, its not his fault, his last owner of 6 years, that is all she fed him. He doesn't eat the raw hard corn, and there are no sunflower seeds in the mix, maybe one peanut, of course he devours. He won't touch a hot dried pepper, my love birds tore them up along with jalapeno peppers. I comfort myself knowing that his diet is way better then it ever has been in his live and he is looking so much better. I have been finding wing feathers on the floor, not sure if he is molting. His chest is still a little bare and he has fluffy feathers around his neck. He is definitely looking better then he first did five months ago.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Michael. He just has his moods I guess. Now he doesn't like almonds, (I thought they were his favorite) so now he nibbles on pellets. I can tell he is still a seed lover, its not his fault, his last owner of 6 years, that is all she fed him. He doesn't eat the raw hard corn, and there are no sunflower seeds in the mix, maybe one peanut, of course he devours. He won't touch a hot dried pepper, my love birds tore them up along with jalapeno peppers. I comfort myself knowing that his diet is way better then it ever has been in his live and he is looking so much better. I have been finding wing feathers on the floor, not sure if he is molting. His chest is still a little bare and he has fluffy feathers around his neck. He is definitely looking better then he first did five months ago.
Yea, not abnormal to like something one minute, and not want it the next. Birds can be picky at times. It's good to change things up a bit now and then. I personally haven't seen many parrots that like hard corn. Every now and then, I get an ear of corn on cob, but a 2 inch piece off, cob and all, and let them have it. They go to town munching on that. But probably just once or twice a month they get that.
The peppers I'm referring to are chunks of bell peppers. Mine also like sweet potato cooked, and like cold cucumber and seedless watermelon.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
So I gather some bits and pieces I had laying around and made a bit of a pond with running water for Tinker. No idea if he will ever bath in it but this is the first time he has seen it.

He just got into his aviary and is on his swing.
20190716_165023.jpg

Whats dad doing to my space eh? That wasn't there before.

Ok lets get a better look at this wet, noisy thing.
20190716_165041.jpg

DAD whats this thing?

20190716_165044.jpg

Well he didn't get phobic but he also didn't climb down to look closer.

Today was 90F and feels like 110F so we stayed in after the Vet visit today.

He past with flying colours and the vet said to just keep doing what your doing as he is a very healthy bird. I think he hates the vet tough. :blahblah::blahblah:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here we are with Tinker being a very good boy lately. I have no idea if it's him or us.
Tinker favors Teresa over me and it is quite obvious I'm the slave. But having said that he is treating me much better these days. His jabs are now love taps and he lets me touch his talons for a few seconds. He does initiate bit of play when I am on the laptop and ignoring him by running over and tapping the back of my hand. No more BITES!

His new safety door area has been the best thing I ever built. It has given him a new lease on freedom that I insist he has as much as possible. I can sit in it and he will fly to me and it's up to him to stay or step into the aviary. I close the aviary door when he goes in and no panic. He has a radio out here and I put on soft rock but he hasn't said he likes it or not. :)

We sort of knocked it around tonight as to the changes in him lately. He is only 14.5 months old but wow what a change. I hope it continues at this pace as it makes all of the trials worth it.

He is also enjoying his time outside now the heat wave and high humidity has moved out. Today he was chatting away and destroying his toys and calling the Cardinals. I'm sure they were replying to him LOL.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update! ♥

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Very aggressive behavior over a bell.

Monday I recieved one of those tubular SS bells about 3" long. He was a little curious at first then he whacked it around and enjoyed the tinkle sound.

Yesterday when I went to get him out of his cage for breakfast he was playing with it, I opened the door and he gave me the stink eye and went to bite me. I backed off thinking, wow he sure is protective of that bell and just let him come out on his own.

The day went well and since it was cool out I left the back door open and he learned how to fly from his outdoor aviary in and out of the house. Good day and a good Tinker.

Today breakfast time again he was a bit aggressive so I just walked away leaving the door open. Normally he steps up and lets me hold him up then he flies around a bit before eating. He ate well and after two hours he settled down and I picked him up and put him back as I had to go away for the morning. I came home at 2 and let him out.

Not a nice boy when I asked him to step up so I backed off.

Was ok after that so I decided to tidy up his cage and papers.
WELL all hell broke loose and he dive bombed me and pinched the back of my neck and hands.
I thought WTH was that about so a few minutes later I tried again. As soon as the bell tinkled he attacked but missed me as I ducked.
I got Teresa and she coach him out side and I cleaned the cage and moved the bell to his day station bong.

All's good right?
Not a chance, when I showed him where the bell was by rattling it he got me good. This time I could feel the blood running down my neck.

As soon as I get the chance it will be removed from the scene never to be seen again.

20190801_152051.jpg

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hmmm:. so sorry that happened to you

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry for the bites. :(
Bells can be trigger to aggressive behavior.
When my girl's play with bells I see that they are excited in a angry way.
To remove it is the right thing. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Bells can be trigger to aggressive behavior.
I never knew this. I don't think my Zon ever had one now I think about it.

Tinker is still outside talking up a storm so I'm hoping he has forgotten and calmed down by now.
It's a nice 75F right now so can stay out, while I do a bit of reading out beside his aviary.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC is in love with his.

It's on his playstand. Thankfully

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Wow I never knew they could go psycho over a bell. Paco has one, its the long tube type. I'm glad as I read they are the safest. For months he never played with it, now he dings it all the time. I notice he will pick up his right leg and hold it. For comfort? So now I'm saying ding ding ring your bell. No response.

Sorry about the bite, and yes I know they hurt like the devil. Dive bombing? That would has scared the ja hezzzing ba geezes out of me.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Wow I never knew they could go psycho over a bell. Paco has one, its the long tube type. I'm glad as I read they are the safest. For months he never played with it, now he dings it all the time. I notice he will pick up his right leg and hold it. For comfort? So now I'm saying ding ding ring your bell. No response.

Sorry about the bite, and yes I know they hurt like the devil. Dive bombing? That would has scared the ja hezzzing ba geezes out of me.
Yep the bite was given while in full flight mode. I was not a happy camper.

That's the type of bell it was, the tube type.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I didn't know they got freaked out over a bell. Did you remove it from his sight completely?