• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I love that. He is not afraid so this is trust to 100%. :)
He is getting much better. He lets me touch his feet and I get to place my hand on his shoulders. Now this isn't all the time mind you, only when he decides it's ok for a few seconds.

He still knows that after about two hour of being out it's time to go back in his house. That's what we call his cage during the day and bed time is night night. His clock is better than mine. :) But I have to pick him up as he will not go back willingly.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But I have to pick him up as he will not go back willingly.
And I don't think he ever will. They have a very strong bond to their flock so to be alone in a cage it's very unnaturally for them.
Try to see that positive, he want's to be with you. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
And I don't think he ever will. They have a very strong bond to their flock so to be alone in a cage it's very unnaturally for them.
Try to see that positive, he want's to be with you. :)
I believe your quite right as when he is out we hang together and play, he also sits on the back of my chair everyday while I read the news on the laptop and talks up a storm, sometimes he is just quiet.
In the morning I will put his food on his feeding station and will wait till I sit beside him with my coffee before he even starts to eat.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Not sure who wanted this picture of my most precious Zon Gus from years ago but I stumbled on this picture today. This is Gus who came to me wild and ended up my best friend many years ago.

Gus the blue fronted Amazon.jpg

Pictures not the best but back then we didn't have cameras like today.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I know I did asked if you had one. :)
Nice to see him. I hope he feels how much missed he is. ♥

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I know I did asked if you had one. :)
Nice to see him. I hope he feels how much missed he is. ♥
I think of this guy everyday. He was such a great bird when he quit trying to bleed me to death. I think he finally realized he had it made as he got car rides daily, could scream at the cat and chase it down the hall, sleep in a warm place with abundance of food and just plain enjoy life.

Tinkers not there yet but he is still a baby so we will just continue on and hope for the best. I must admit though, Tinker is way smarter than Gus was.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well summer is finally here although a month late, Tinker has been out in his aviary now for a week or so. Makes it easier for me as I can do the garden and cut grass without having to keep him inside in his house, that's what we have been calling it.

But yesterday I had to go away for a business meeting, yeah I'm retired but still active when it comes to making money.
So I go out to get him and bring him inside but as usual this year he doesn't want to get into his transfer cage, so I pick him up and place him into it.

Now what normally happens is I get him to step up and bring him out of the transfer cage and let him fly around. But this time I put my hand over his wings to hold him and put him in his house.
Well within five seconds he realized what was up and decided to clamp down and let me know what vise-grips feel like.

I could have choked the little bugger.

20190609_213240.jpg

Guess I was lucky he decided not to skin me alive.

Oh by the way that's my new keyboard that took all of 5 minutes to install. Shipped from china for 50 bucks instead or 200 from the USA. Someone is ripping someone off IMO.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Wow can't believe it's been two weeks since I posted in this thread but it's summer and life gets in the way.
I'm building a safety door type aviary going out on the back deck. Tinker is a top gun when he is flying now and he tries to follow us outside. It will be connected to his aviary by a small door. I'll post pictures when I'm done. :)

Teresa taught him to read the paper so she could read the flyers when he was out of his cage. I don't think he like the advertised specials though.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well I found a picture to show Tinker what happens when birds don't behave and get sold to KFC.

View attachment 307361

Ah he shredded it!
:burp1:
Lol....Grayson says... " yep, looks like chicken, smells like chicken, taste like chicken....poor chicken..num num...besides, it happens to bad birds....not bad bats!!!...see I'm a bat! "
IMG_20190502_215922.jpg
Good looking grey tinker is!

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Sounds like you got your hands full this summer with the new project and such! Love the video of Tinker shredding the paper! Hes growing so fast ! :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What a brat he is! But he is a happy and healthy brat that only enjoying life. Love to watch that video. ❤

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Sounds like you got your hands full this summer with the new project and such!
For sure. I can't lift my left arm without assistance from the other right now. Once I get it above my shoulder I can keep it there. Once the repairs are fully healed I have a couple of options and a reverse shoulder replacement is one the other is a gel pad to stop the shoulder dislocating but health Canada hasn't approved the clinical trials yet. U.S.A. is just finishing theirs and Europe has approve it 5 years ago. Takes me 4 times longer to do certain things.

You know....that chicken your holding kinds looks like a fried small parrot!
Oh yeah that's why I used it.

What a brat he is!
He's a brat alright and some days I could choke the little bugger. At least he has stopped biting so hard. I'm also learning to read his moods better. But I will still put him in his house if he really gets out of hand. I also change the routine on a regular basis and he is getting used to it and it doesn't seem to upset him anymore.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker is a very independent little guy. He has tons of toys that I rotate on a regular basis, he can still be a bit phobic with some things but he investigates very quickly. He's not a clingy at all and does not like to cuddle. Loves a good head scratch on his terms. I guess this is what a independent mind does.

He still likes to play a bit rough though so you need to watch your fingers so when he gets like that we just stop and distract him. Dam babies can be a pain. LOL

Overall he's having fun and we are as well. Time will tell just how it all will evolve, but I'm sure it will be a exciting trip as it has been so far.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
For sure. I can't lift my left arm without assistance from the other right now. Once I get it above my shoulder I can keep it there. Once the repairs are fully healed I have a couple of options and a reverse shoulder replacement is one the other is a gel pad to stop the shoulder dislocating but health Canada hasn't approved the clinical trials yet. U.S.A. is just finishing theirs and Europe has approve it 5 years ago. Takes me 4 times longer to do certain things.

Oh yeah that's why I used it.

He's a brat alright and some days I could choke the little bugger. At least he has stopped biting so hard. I'm also learning to read his moods better. But I will still put him in his house if he really gets out of hand. I also change the routine on a regular basis and he is getting used to it and it doesn't seem to upset him anymore.
Hmm sounds like you may need to travel to Europe!! I feel so bad that your still in pain. :( Be careful with it and listen to your body.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Hmm sounds like you may need to travel to Europe!! I feel so bad that your still in pain. :( Be careful with it and listen to your body.
Actually what they managed to repair is basically pain free. It's the range of motion that needs to be fixed, if it can be at all. I have lost 80% of my rotator cuff and that is what holds the shoulder joint together.