• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Happy Hatch Day! Now your and old fart like the big guy LOL. Hope your papa made you an extra special treat for his extra special boy! :party1::greet2::starshower1:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Happy Hatch Day! Now your and old fart like the big guy LOL. Hope your papa made you an extra special treat for his extra special boy! :party1::greet2::starshower1:
Old guy LMAO. Yeah guess your right about that but the brain is young and full of mischief as my 8 grand kids say.
ROTFLMAO hehehe

Tinker was out all day as dad had nothing planned. He was a PITA but we put up with it till supper and gave him a time out.

As for treats he got an extra walnut, a few extra pistachios and a whole bucket of his favorite sunflower seeds grown in dads garden last year.

An tomorrow he gets to spend the day with mom. WHOOO HOOO he gets spoiled rotten then.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well we are still molting.
Lost another tail feather while zoom, zooming around today. It was one with the black tip, only one left now. He has new ones coming in and I can't wait to see them all, his tail right now looks horrible.

Looks like a comb with teeth missing. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Today was the first outside day of the year. It was a beautiful sunny after noon in the high 60s.

He was a little wary of things at first but it didn't take him long to remember he had been there before.

20190506_144754.jpg 20190506_144833.jpg 20190506_144742.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is great. That outside visit will get him calm and relax after and easier to handle.
I see a big difference in my girls behavior if they have been out or not.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That is great. That outside visit will get him calm and relax after and easier to handle.
I see a big difference in my girls behavior if they have been out or not.
It's been a long cold, wet spring this year so it was nice to get a warm day. The rest of the week looks like crap though. I guessing that June and July will be hot an dry and the rye grass will destroy my work last fall on my lawn. UGH!!!

Oh Tinker fell totally asleep on Teresa's knee after his first day outside in the sun. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well I never expected this!
I have been using a hand held dirt devil vacuum on his cage, day stand an feeding station since he came home. The last two days he has been coming over while I have been using it and beaking it and putting his head down like he would for a scratch.
So I left it running and did a vacuum of his neck and chest.

He loved it and asked for more. I got it out tonight and he flew right over for more.

Now my dogs in the past all used to love a good vacuuming but I have never had a bird wanting one.

I'll try get Teresa to record it this weekend if we get the time.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He loved it and asked for more. I got it out tonight and he flew right over for more.
I really don't know what to say. But Yes, Tinker is,,, Special. :p (in a good way)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I really don't know what to say.
Well at the time I was surprised. Today while I was cleaning up his mess on the ay station with it he flew over and put his head down for a quick vacuum then move so that it would go under his neck.
I have to get Teresa ready with the camera the next time.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Whoa :laugh:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
What an amazing first day!

:goodjob: :yah:

One thing that can give you an 'educated guess' on sex, once your new buddy is more comfortable (or on the perch), is to look at the little red vent feathers beneath his tail (not the actual tail feathers, the vent feathers). Females tend to have a delicate silver edging on the feathers there. It's a teeny tiny detail, and by no means 100%, but unless you get him DNA sexed or end up with an egg, it's the best basis for a guess I've seen. ;)

Visual guide, from my former female (DNA confirmed):
Tinker finally grew back his red vent feathers and this is what they look like.
Vent feathers.jpg
Following some info on the various shades of gray on the under side of his wings and that silver on the vents it is leading me to believe he might be a she.

I know a DNA test is the best but right now I'm not in the mood to spend that kind of money nor do I want to put Tinker under that stress either.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker guard! I did this 5 weeks ago on one double cabinet in the kitchen to discourage him from clamping onto the top of the cabinet door. It worked! He has tried but can't get a toe hold and slides right off.
20190518_102641.jpg
Finished it all off this morning.

20190518_102654.jpg

Tinker is outside today for the second time this year.

He is loving the sun and local bird calls. Hope the Grackles don't show up.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Quite the commotion today while Tinker was out in his aviary. I had just finished with the riding mower and was standing at the bottom of the steps to the deck.

A red squirrel blew past me right up the steps to the deck, right on his tail was two Robins screeching and dive bombing. This continued right past Tinker and down the other side.

Tinker didn't seem to be frazzled at all when I got there. :)

Kodigirl210

He’s growing to such a big boy! Sif and I are off to the vet again tomorrow. Just going to confirm on the eyes. We are going to go where the wind blows us. It’s gotten a might thick about lately so hopefully we’ll be sunshine clean somewhere else. Keep posting on your lucky lad. He got some great parronts! :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
It’s gotten a might thick about lately so hopefully we’ll be sunshine clean somewhere else.
It's rain again and going to be cold the next few days here. He will spend today inside for sure.

Hope your vet visit today goes well. Poor Sif he has so many challenges ahead of him but he's a fighter.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here we are getting a neck vacuum after I cleaned up the bits off his day stand. This little Dirt Devil has a very weak vacuum and is perfect for a quick clean of his day stands and cage. Picks up those flyaway fluffies fast.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This is Tinkers knock down get out of his way birdy treat. He would eat nothing else if I let him. :)
Minus the salt.
The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients:
1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds
½ cup / 90g flax seeds
½ cup / 65g hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt (add ½ tsp. if using coarse salt)
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
1 ½ cups / 350ml water

Directions:
1. In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
3. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
4. Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!