• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is my next problem, he won't go near his carrier now. Gives it the evil eye and growls at it even though it has been on the floor in plain sight all along.
Outdoor aviary is 10 feet from the door so I need the carrier since he has now decided to have hissy fits with his harness.
High value treats only given there and leave carrier door open

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well today was not a day he was going to go into his cage for a walnut. This guy learns real fast.
So for an hour I ignored him and he went into his cage for the celery greens I hung up.

I took two steps toward him from 20 feet away and he exploded out the door.
He settled on his day station and I picked him up and put him in so I could cook my lunch and go out.

I think I want my human kids back. MMMM second thoughts no, they cost me a fortune. LOL
And it would be frowned on if you'd put your human kids in cages (though I'm sure the thought crossed many a parents mind).

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Here is a update of my life as a slave and safety coordinator for Tinker.
He has got this idea that he wants to greet everyone at the front door this last couple of weeks. He also has tried to slip out the back door with me. Telling him that it is so cold out he will freeze his toes off hasn't seemed to sink in. LOL

So this has solved the front door issue. I put one up in the hallway before Christmas and it has stopped him from going into the back bedrooms that are not parrot safe and allows me to leave the doors open so we get the proper air circulation through out. It also slides back for when he is in his cage. Dollar store shower curtains cut into 2.5" strips.

20190324_133636.jpg

The last two days Tinker has suddenly started talking in his full voice instead of whispering. He now says Tinker and Tinkeeer. Teresa started playing peek a boo with him last week when he gets behind a pillow on the couch. He now says peek a boo very clear and loud. Haven't managed to video him saying peek a boo yet. Had to zoom in to catch him saying Tinker on his cage. He wants to kill my phone.

This morning he surprised me when he asked for a bath. When he was on the fridge he started to flap his wings and was all fluffed up carrying on so. He has really started a molt lately and lost two red vent feathers and some others about 1.5 inches long. I can feel new quills coming out on his neck, chest and head so he must be itchy.
This misting took a whole quart misting bottle at room temperature and I stopped not him. He couldn't fly well afterwards. :)

20190325_090256.jpg

Here he is after he dried out having fun on his bong under his day station.

20190324_142053.jpg
20190324_142144.jpg

By the way his nipping has finally got to the point that it is friendly again. No bruising at all. We don't encourage the beaking though and say no bite when he tries.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Here is a update of my life as a slave and safety coordinator for Tinker.
He has got this idea that he wants to greet everyone at the front door this last couple of weeks. He also has tried to slip out the back door with me. Telling him that it is so cold out he will freeze his toes off hasn't seemed to sink in. LOL

So this has solved the front door issue. I put one up in the hallway before Christmas and it has stopped him from going into the back bedrooms that are not parrot safe and allows me to leave the doors open so we get the proper air circulation through out. It also slides back for when he is in his cage. Dollar store shower curtains cut into 2.5" strips.

View attachment 299595

The last two days Tinker has suddenly started talking in his full voice instead of whispering. He now says Tinker and Tinkeeer. Teresa started playing peek a boo with him last week when he gets behind a pillow on the couch. He now says peek a boo very clear and loud. Haven't managed to video him saying peek a boo yet. Had to zoom in to catch him saying Tinker on his cage. He wants to kill my phone.

This morning he surprised me when he asked for a bath. When he was on the fridge he started to flap his wings and was all fluffed up carrying on so. He has really started a molt lately and lost two red vent feathers and some others about 1.5 inches long. I can feel new quills coming out on his neck, chest and head so he must be itchy.
This misting took a whole quart misting bottle at room temperature and I stopped not him. He couldn't fly well afterwards. :)

View attachment 299596

Here he is after he dried out having fun on his bong under his day station.

View attachment 299597
View attachment 299598

By the way his nipping has finally got to the point that it is friendly again. No bruising at all. We don't encourage the beaking though and say no bite when he tries.
Wow! His voice is very clear for such a youngen! Impressed! I see you have mastered the curtain technique and have also took to being a slave of your bird :D We have curtains everywhere! Great update on the biting issue! Hes so cute :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Again great update. :)

I put one up in the hallway before Christmas and it has stopped him from going into the back bedrooms that are not parrot safe and allows me to leave the doors open so we get the proper air circulation through out. It also slides back for when he is in his cage. Dollar store shower curtains cut into 2.5" strips.
Just a warning. I had something similar to Eloy so he couldn't fly in to my bedroom. One day he just fly straight throw it. He crashed after, but still manage to get in the bedroom. (landed on the floor and didn't hurt himself)
If that curtain have been to cover the outdoor he had been lost.
I will say that one day Tinker will do the same. He sees that you manage to go throw it, and they are smart, so he will also both try and manage that.
Or he will walk under.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
If that curtain have been to cover the outdoor he had been lost.
Yeah I know, we never leave the outer door open even before Tinker came here. For now it's a way to stop him seeing what goes on but I expect someday down the road he will figure it out as he does most things. The hallway one has been up for weeks and so far he avoids it like the plague.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
we never leave the outer door open even before Tinker came here. For now it's a way to stop him seeing what goes on
Thank God! I thought you did had it open and only using the curtain to avoid him to get out. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thank God! I thought you did had it open and only using the curtain to avoid him to get out. :)
Oh no it's never opened unless someone is coming or going and always locked after. Same with the garden door in the cold months then the SS mesh screen door is used when warm. Then when the hot weather hits it's closed while the central air runs.

Sorry I wasn't clearer explaining that.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Kathy is awesome in reading and understanding her parrots. And she is so funny! :D
That is (Felix page) one of the few channels I follow on FB.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker is a fully flight F18! He loves flying, diving under the table and screeching as he goes. He flies every morning till he is panting then settles down for the day.
It has also made him very independent and will walk away from me when he needs to go back into his cage mid morning. He has started to not recall even for his favorite treats. He is the one that decides what he wants to do now.

Today he went without food from 9am till Terri got home at 12pm. He refuses to go into his cage now for his walnut and even his sunflower seeds. Terri comes home and picks him up and places him in his cage. I know he has a good bond with her and not me now. I can't get near him in daylight.
This stubborn 11 month old attitude has made me threaten to clip his wings if he doesn't comply. I even threatened to sell him to KFC but to no avail he just flies away. LOL

I will never clip him!
Flying is what makes him what he is. A PITA LOL.

I can get him in the dark though. So tomorrow its off to the hardware store to get some black plastic to hang with magnets on the garden doors. I think the front window curtains and the dark blind in the kitchen will be enough to darken the room in daylight.
When I make them I will post pictures and how I did it.

I hope this works as I'm at my wits end trying to get him back in his cage without chasing him down till he can't fly anymore. I hate doing it and I refuse to clip him.

Too bad he wasn't smart enough that I have a life as well. :)

Kodigirl210

Isn’t it amazing? You are looking one place and they are in totally different one. It has to make you laugh. They are such quirky, wonderful, winged sprites :fairy: