• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
True Butternuts are a protected tree and you cannot remove them since they were nearly wiped out by a fungi. That might be the one your thinking of.
Yes it can. I only wanted to tell you about fungi, but you already knew a lot more of if then I do. (and that is great)
PITA job but I like them and they grow in my back yard for free. LOL
I also collect a lot of "free" stuff for my birds. 100% organic and fresh.
It is great knowing what we are giving them. :) I believe that the worst bacteria is from other humans and placed indoors.
Outside bacteria is often good bacteria. We don't want them to be in a 100% clean environment, because they will never get a good immune system of that.
My mom always told us that a little dirt was only cleaning your stomach. Hope that you manage to translate that correct. :)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Yes it can. I only wanted to tell you about fungi, but you already knew a lot more of if then I do. (and that is great) .
My mom always told us that a little dirt was only cleaning your stomach. Hope that you manage to translate that correct. :)
Well the only reason I found out about the walnuts is because my tree started to grow them by the buckets full. Then my X partner said he had a butternut tree. That's when I found out that his is a cross breed and the rest of the info just flowed in with research. It was quite interesting really because I never knew all that before.

My mom used to say the same thing and I allowed my kids to live life to the fullest and get down and dirty. Never hurt them one bit and living in rural Ontario they had a ball.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Well the only reason I found out about the walnuts is because my tree started to grow them by the buckets full. Then my X partner said he had a butternut tree. That's when I found out that his is a cross breed and the rest of the info just flowed in with research. It was quite interesting really because I never knew all that before.

My mom used to say the same thing and I allowed my kids to live life to the fullest and get down and dirty. Never hurt them one bit and living in rural Ontario they had a ball.
My mom loves telling the story of the first time I was left entirely in my father's care while she was cooking a big dinner - she came outside to check on us and there is her immaculately kept infant, covered heat to toe in dirt and mud and shrieking in delight. According to her, I left a ring on the adult-sized bathtub on my second washing. :rofl: He was a big believer in "God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt".. that playing in mud and dirt and such things is how we build up a proper immune system. Must be something to it, I don't have even a fraction of the allergies and chemical sensitivities and such that most people my age and younger seem plagued with. (Of course, that's about the ONLY kind of medical issue I don't have... >.>)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Hi Folks
We this morning Tinker decided he wants to eat with me at the table. He's not going to be allowed on the dinner table but can sit on his chair perch I made for him.
He enjoyed his breakfast with me and stayed on his perch.

I'm learning a lot about his personality as well. He will ignore the simple chop I put out but dives right into the mix of nuts corn dried peppers etc from the store.
So tomorrow chop first with pellets before any of the good stuff. Should be interesting. LOL

I need to get a good colour game camera so I can catch him in flight. Mines a old B&W one and the pictures are not all that good. mmmm a dash cam might be the ticket or one of those sports one's people fasten on their helmets.

Either way he has settle down from touch and goes to shredding some toys apart.

Last night I also ordered an outdoor Aviary for him. It's about 48" x 70" x 77" high.
Not sure yet how I will get him in and out of it yet since he is not harness trained, (we are slowly introducing him to the harness as per the DVD instructions) guess it will be his travel cage for now.
My deck is 16' x 20' and covered so it will fit nicely in front of the kitchen window. I also like to spend time in my pool in the afternoons so he can watch.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Try not chopping his chop. XD My first Grey, Stormy, refused to eat 'chop', but if I gave her big chunks (think crudités/dipping size) she would eat them. (After a rousing game of 'mommy-go-fetch' lol... flinging them to the ground and having me return them to her bowl until I got tired of it, left on on the ground, and she got the message and didn't waste any more goodies ;) )

Also, in case you missed it, you and Tinker were instrumental in a breakthrough with my spouse :D

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Tinker is such a darling!! Love her and the updates:heart::heart:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My deck is 16' x 20' and covered so it will fit nicely in front of the kitchen window.
That will be great. You sure have one lucky Grey! ♥
And why not eating at dinner table? That is not wrong in my world. Great way to create a strong bond. Friends share and eat food together.
But of course to allowed him on a perch so close is also great so don't get me wrong. :)
guess it will be his travel cage for now.
That works just fine. :) That is how I do it.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Try not chopping his chop. XD My first Grey, Stormy, refused to eat 'chop', but if I gave her big chunks (think crudités/dipping size) she would eat them. (After a rousing game of 'mommy-go-fetch' lol... flinging them to the ground and having me return them to her bowl until I got tired of it, left on on the ground, and she got the message and didn't waste any more goodies ;) )

Also, in case you missed it, you and Tinker were instrumental in a breakthrough with my spouse :D
So glad we could help with the spouse issue.
My wife Teresa was a little nervous at first till she met Tinker at 8 weeks old and his parents who are quite friendly. After that she took over the planning and setting up for his home coming LOL.
Showed her the aviary yesterday and was ordered to buy it now LOL

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That will be great. You sure have one lucky Grey! ♥
And why not eating at dinner table? That is not wrong in my world. Great way to create a strong bond. Friends share and eat food together.
But of course to allowed him on a perch so close is also great so don't get me wrong. :)

That works just fine. :) That is how I do it.
It's where I eat and don't want poop on my table to clean up. The perch worked today so that will be his limits. He will learn or be restricted at human meal times.
I know people that allow their cats to walk and feed on their table. YUK! I don't stay for dinner unless it's an outside BBQ.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
It's where I eat and don't want poop on my table to clean up. The perch worked today so that will be his limits. He will learn or be restricted at human meal times.
I know people that allow their cats to walk and feed on their table. YUK! I don't stay for dinner unless it's an outside BBQ.
Just as a counterpoint... you know Greys can be "potty trained", right? It takes a fair bit of patience, because you have to be able to 'catch' them at just the right moment the first few times, but you can teach them to only go on newspaper, or to return to the cage to go, etc. It doesn't work so well on the smaller birds, because they go so often, but with a Grey whose frequency is a little slower, and especially one that's flighted, totally possible. :)

Just saying, if that's your concern with him being on the table, well, there are options. My greys were kept on a perch beside the table instead of on it because I use garlic and/or onion in pretty much -everything- and I didn't want them stealing potentially toxic food XD

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Just as a counterpoint... you know Greys can be "potty trained", right? It takes a fair bit of patience, because you have to be able to 'catch' them at just the right moment the first few times, but you can teach them to only go on newspaper, or to return to the cage to go, etc. It doesn't work so well on the smaller birds, because they go so often, but with a Grey whose frequency is a little slower, and especially one that's flighted, totally possible. :)

Just saying, if that's your concern with him being on the table, well, there are options. My greys were kept on a perch beside the table instead of on it because I use garlic and/or onion in pretty much -everything- and I didn't want them stealing potentially toxic food XD
Yes I know that as Gus my old Amazon from years ago always went back to his day stand to poop. We are working on Tinker to catch him so he does the same.

This morning he stayed on his perch so I know he knows the rules but like all kids he will push the limits. Right now he is back on his play station preening and looking quite content.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's where I eat and don't want poop on my table to clean up.
Mine never poop on the table. They don't poop where they eat. But if they where I'm not sensitive at all.
I know my birds are so clean, and also I clean very carefully everywhere they are.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today
Mine never poop on the table. They don't poop where they eat. But if they where I'm not sensitive at all.
I know my birds are so clean, and also I clean very carefully everywhere they are.
That's wonderful that you have such well trained birds. I hope Tinker ends up the same.
I'm not sensitive either but I believe animals be it bird, cat, dog or lizard etc, should not be on the surfaces that I prepare my food. Yes careful cleaning is always a must whether you have animals or not.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today Tinker had to learn that some days we are in and out all day long. He got only 2 hrs freedom this morning and over the noon hour with my wife. He seemed to accept it with no problems.

Supper tonight went real well as he stayed on his table side perch the whole time. He ate all his veggies and pigged right out on the fresh cooked carrots.

He likes the coloured blocks I made for him.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I got interrupted right after my last post and had to leave the house.
Tinker learned today where we keep his food supplies and flies over to the island and looks down at the cabinet door.
:D
When I went to put his mixed treats in a bowl he saw me and flew right over and stuck his head into the container. He is like my old dog Max used to be, you couldn't even think of getting the cheese out and he would be at your side begging.

He also growled at me, at least I think it was a growl, sure sounded like one. This happened when I laid him on his back to clean under his tail feathers that he dragged on some droppings on his day play station.
Didn't bite or get excited though, so we got the job done quick and he snuggled up after for a minute or so.

Day is over now and he has been snoozing for the last two hours.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Oh yeah, they will definitely 'help themselves' if they get the chance. :lol:

Loving the pictures and accounts of his days and discoveries, thank you for sharing <3

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Some articles I read on potty training cautioned against it, it can harm a parrot.

One of our members makes awesome window perches (the wingdow). Mine has straps, too, and I can put it over the back of a chair. Hubby tolerates my amazons but he would draw the line at letting them sit at the table.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I never taught mine not to go/hold it, just to return to their cage or stand before going, then come back to whatever they were doing (one of the many reasons I kept them flighted)
Totally understand your reasoning. I'm just a tee total worrier type. I'd be worried that if something happened to me and they ultimately wound up in a home that clipped them..... (@JLcribber has declared my worrying to be quite excessive when it comes to my feathered friends).

Actually I've been to a friend's home that has flighted birds and discovered their parrots only use the bathroom when they land on their playstands. No training involved they said, just the natural parrot way.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Totally understand your reasoning. I'm just a tee total worrier type. I'd be worried that if something happened to me and they ultimately wound up in a home that clipped them..... (@JLcribber has declared my worrying to be quite excessive when it comes to my feathered friends).

Actually I've been to a friend's home that has flighted birds and discovered their parrots only use the bathroom when they land on their playstands. No training involved they said, just the natural parrot way.
Yeah, it's pretty natural for them. It isn't so much teaching them something that goes against their nature, and more just letting them know that 'X is the preferred place to go'.