• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Things have gone super well with the shoulder and I took myself off my pain meds Saturday night. Physio is going well.

Tinker has been a champ as well. Bed time is going well and only once did we need to darken the room. Teresa has made a game of going to bed when she picks him up by swinging him around and turning him upside down. He seems to enjoy that as he doesn't squawk or pinch anymore.
I needed to put him away quickly today and scooped him up with my right forearm against my side, walked to his cage and leaned in and he stepped right in with no fuss. :)

So all in all things are going well.

Oh before I forget, I have being training Tinker to jump of his training perch for a sunflower seed. Well he was getting too excited and climbing up and immediately jumping off. LOL

I have been using the palm of my hand facing him to distract him from attacking the keys in my laptop, he stops and turns away. So I tried this the other day but said "stay", he was confused at first but seemed to catch on.

Today was perfect. I tapped the perch he climbed up, I said stay with my palm out and he waited for me to say jump. Three times in a row! Good boy Tinker.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Things have gone super well with the shoulder and I took myself off my pain meds Saturday night. Physio is going well.

Tinker has been a champ as well. Bed time is going well and only once did we need to darken the room. Teresa has made a game of going to bed when she picks him up by swinging him around and turning him upside down. He seems to enjoy that as he doesn't squawk or pinch anymore.
I needed to put him away quickly today and scooped him up with my right forearm against my side, walked to his cage and leaned in and he stepped right in with no fuss. :)

So all in all things are going well.

Oh before I forget, I have being training Tinker to jump of his training perch for a sunflower seed. Well he was getting too excited and climbing up and immediately jumping off. LOL

I have been using the palm of my hand facing him to distract him from attacking the keys in my laptop, he stops and turns away. So I tried this the other day but said "stay", he was confused at first but seemed to catch on.

Today was perfect. I tapped the perch he climbed up, I said stay with my palm out and he waited for me to say jump. Three times in a row! Good boy Tinker.
Wow Im impressed!! Great that your healing well and good for Tinker!! He sounds so smart!! Glad hes behaving you!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
It's funny that you should mention that because my left knee replacement went much more smoothly than the right one. Recovery was much faster too. I hope yours is too.
I think the difference with mine is that they scraped the arthritis out of the joint and removed bone spurs on the right shoulder. They didn't need to do this at all on the left.

Kodigirl210

Tinker is so adorable and rolling around on his back all the time. I just get a gentle mouthing to remind her back is Not where Sif wants to be - ever! I :hehe:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker is so adorable and rolling around on his back all the time. I just get a gentle mouthing to remind her back is Not where Sif wants to be - ever! I :hehe:
I keep my fingers clear of that beak when he is playing like this. He's excited and doesn't realize it's not his toy.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Omg! He did knock himself with that roll!:coffeescreen:
That is great that he can play on his own like this. :)

Kodigirl210

I keep my fingers clear of that beak when he is playing like this. He's excited and doesn't realize it's not his toy.

Sif has never bitten me. Not even when frustrated or hurt. The most she does is mouth me with her beak. She never, ever bites down. I know how lucky I am so I am very mindful to keep all interactions as positive as possible :D

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So good to see you and Tinker are still going strong! He is just :heart:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Omg! He did knock himself with that roll!:coffeescreen:
That is great that he can play on his own like this. :)
We allow him to use the center island since we used it as a collection point anyway. He keeps it cleaned off by pushing his toys onto the floor. Same as his day stand, if it's not fastened down it gets tossed. :)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I've never seen a grey play this way... he's adorable!!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I've never seen a grey play this way... he's adorable!!
Wish I could catch him with a camera but I never know when he will do it. He screeches flapping his wings and spins in circles on top of the fridge. Flaps just hard enough to almost hover. He then does two or three 65 foot circuits around the house.

I might have to invest in a security camera system.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@BertAllen - I'd love to see that - definitely check out those cameras! Do all or most greys play like this when they're babies?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Do all or most greys play like this when they're babies?
I have no idea but this guy is just over 8 months old and is a bundle of energy. He loves to fly around and is quite good at it. I know some mornings he wears me out in two hours. LOL

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
But why am I laughing? Wasn't I suppose to be sad knowing that this is my world too?
No, it is always funny knowing that you're not the only one and much funnier if we are talking about someone else. :hehe:

(But I know he loves you for other reasons too. :) )

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Hi to everyone who have been following this thread.

My shoulder is doing great and only aches now at the end of the day. Tylenol extra strength sorts that out. I will be glad to get out of this sling in 2.5 weeks after i see the surgeon. X fingers.
It is very stiff, tight and the next phase of physio is going to be fun. LOL

Tinker has been bonding to Teresa this last week. He sits on her lap and asks for scratches and will lay on his back while she plays with his feet. It's great to see the interaction between the two of them. This is after supper while we watch tv.
He still doesn't like my sling and won't sit with me at all but we do play during the day and still do our routine on his training perch. He does fly over to me and sit on my left shoulder and has stopped nibbling on my ear so that's a positive.

Bed time hasn't improved much as he still hates to go to bed but he doesn't fuss anywhere near as much. We have had to darken the room a couple of times to pick him up but we play airplane (if that makes any sense) and he seems to enjoy that.

He is certainly trying to talk more and is quite the chatter box now during the day. We can tell what he is saying and sometimes it's quite clear. We laugh, he laughs! He doesn't cough anymore since mine has cleared up and the squeaky toy sound is gone since I quit squeezing it so much. Whew as it drove me nuts. :)

He seems to like a good soaking with the mister every 10 days or so. I try to mist him everyday but he doesn't hang around long enough for anything other than a few seconds. So be it.
But as soon as I am able I'm going to try entice him into the shower in the common bath room.

I also have to install a clear curtain at the top of the steps in the front hall way, he wants to fly down to the front door when we open it and he is quick. So for now we are super vigilant while he is out.
I know what is needed and as soon as i am able, it will be done and I'll post pictures for you.

All is well and Tinker is or seems to be settling out as he goes along. He sure is a challenge compared to Gus my wild caught Amazon years ago.

Oh just to let you know there has been no blood donations lately.

Good boy Tinker.

Kodigirl210

Sounds like things are going well. Sif loves her shower perch. Idk if you have one for Tinker but it might help to ease him in.

Have you weighed him lately? I’m sure he’s probably continuing to grow.

Glad all is good with your shoulder. Best wishes. :)