• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
With getting Lucy back into her cage, we had a big issue with it at first. That was mostly during the phase she wouldnt step up. What ended up working in the end, was I found she just wanted to be around us and thats why she didnt want to go to sleep. So I simply just put her cage in my bedroom. When I go to sleep, I will often watch a movie or something before sleeping . So I would get a handful of her favorite treats, and make sure that she seen me putting them into her cage. So now that she knows she can stay up an extra hour and watch tv with me, I will tell her "wanna go watch a movie?" and Ill grab her favorite treats in one hand and her on the other and she will go with me to the bedroom and get in her cage. I will play tv for no more than an hour and she just enjoys it now. Lol Good luck!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Is there a really extra special treat or toy he likes that you can put in when he goes to bed?
So I would get a handful of her favorite treats, and make sure that she seen me putting them into her cage
That used to work and he would step up and go to the cage. Now when he sees me getting things ready for the night, even if I do it two hours before it's time he watches me like a hawk. If he thinks I might be trying off to the fridge he goes. He won't even take a sunflower seed from me by this time.
Today I started playing with his toys on the coffee table and scooped him up when he took his evil eye off me. :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
That used to work and he would step up and go to the cage. Now when he sees me getting things ready for the night, even if I do it two hours before it's time he watches me like a hawk. If he thinks I might be trying off to the fridge he goes. He won't even take a sunflower seed from me by this time.
Today I started playing with his toys on the coffee table and scooped him up when he took his evil eye off me. :)
Haha smart arent they!? Hopefully things work out for you. Lucy stays on top of the fridge unless im cooking I make her leave. Even when I first met her she was on top of her previous owners fridge too.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Most of my flock behave themselves around bed time. Quakers JJ, Miss Daisy & Loofa go back into their cages quite happily. The tiels start settling into their night spaces and so does sun Tikki. BUT the gccs are another story - they've two groups 1 of 4 and the other of 9. They used to go to bed without a problem until 1 naughty one decided not to and then others decided to do the same. Then they discovered that if they didn't go to bed they missed out on the water and food in their cage(s) during the day. Plus they didn't like being chased down and put in their cages.

Now I switch off the lights in the bird room, then in the family room and switch off or lower the t.v. to the point there is no "entertainment" going on in the family room. Most of them caught the drift but my two holdouts are Quaker Baby Blue (who hides) and alpha gcc Beni who hides at the very top of the drapes separating the bird room from the family room. I've figured out where Baby hides and can put him to bed. I can put Beni to bed once he's come down to check out what type of dessert I'm eating.

Consider making staying up boring for him. Lower the lights, read instead of watching t.v. or very literally pretend to go to bed (after you've secured the important electronics in the room). If you're not being chased around and Dad/Mom have gone to bed there's no fun to staying up.

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

The other thing I would try is just fake him out. At random times during the day put him in his cage and treat him. Let Tinker stay in for a while then bring him back out.

Also switch up your getting ready for bed routine and when you put him in the cage for bed. One day do it before, one day during the middle and one day at the end. If he can’t anticipate when he’s going to be left in the cage and thinks he might come back out after a little while, he won’t hesitate so much to go in. Make sense? ;)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thanks for all the tips folks.
Tonight I just turned out all the lights and TV. Night light was enough to see him, walked over picked him up and placed him in his cage. No mess no fuss. :)

If this is what it takes so be it. I will try to make going into the cage a fun thing though. This is going to be fun. BAHAhahahaha I should have got a finch. Naw I'm kidding I love this guy. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
The other thing I would try is just fake him out. At random times during the day put him in his cage and treat him. Let Tinker stay in for a while then bring him back out.

Also switch up your getting ready for bed routine and when you put him in the cage for bed. One day do it before, one day during the middle and one day at the end. If he can’t anticipate when he’s going to be left in the cage and thinks he might come back out after a little while, he won’t hesitate so much to go in. Make sense? ;)
You won't believe this but that is what I have been doing for the last three weeks.
All I accomplished was a sideways look that said "what are you up too now dad"
He learned how to run sideways. LOL

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You won't believe this but that is what I have been doing for the last three weeks.
All I accomplished was a sideways look that said "what are you up too now dad"
He learned how to run sideways. LOL
You've got to love being a parront to a fid - it almost makes human children look easy (NOT really). Human children have to listen to their parents until they hit their teens, birds don't listen, blow you off and I'm positive they flip us off when we're not looking. :winnerdance: :winnerdance: :winnerdance:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
All went as expected with surgery but they had to keep me in overnight due to the fact my blood oxygen levels were low. Looks like the nerve block affected my left side and I wasn't breathing properly.

Tinker sure was effected though. We had to leave at 5am so I left him for Don in the morning. All went well and he ate up and played with don for two hours. They did the same in the afternoon.

Teresa got home late due to that darn snow storm. She said tinker would not settle down as he was looking everywhere for me. He then stuck with her like glue chirping till she put him in his cage for the night and the lights went out. Tuesday he didn't eat anything. I got home about 3pm and he whistled and carried on till I got my boots off and picked him up.
He finally ate all his food but wanted to follow me all over the house. He finally settled down in my lap and I got the job of neck scratches for 45 minutes.

I told him I was tired but he just ignored me and demanded more scratches. LOL

Today he is back to normal other than he is trying to find my left wing.
Went to bed with no issues as well.

I'm in a sling with a 4" foam pad under it to hold my arm out since they fixed both the front and rear rotator cuffs. They also fixed the 2" bicep tear. This is going to be a 6 week ordeal and Teresa will have her hands full.
I need her to put the Game Ready machine on my shoulder every four hours for two weeks. Not over night though. Plus she has now got most of Tinkers chores to mix in with her busy life.

Soooo if I'm missing in action for longer than a few days please call Tinker and ask him what mom did with dad. :)

Here is Tuesdays arm. It's a way worse looking than it feels but then they did a lot more than they had planned on. Pain is for the most part under control.

20190129_200532.jpg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Whoa, take it easy and feel better soon!

Kodigirl210

I’m glad everything went well and it sound like they were able to repair a lot more than expected. This can only mean it will be better for you in the long run even though it stinks in the short term.

Tinker is a clever boy & he will adapt. He will just continue to be extra spoiled for a bit so don’t be too surprised when he doesn’t want to cooperate with being caged again. He might be a bit worried that Da is going to disappear on him again.

Glad to see you are home & I wish you a speedy recovery! :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Drink lots of water...... lots and lots of water while you are on pain pills.

Hang in there! Will add you to my prayers.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Good to hear your surgery went well! I wish you a speedy recovery! Sounds like Tinker missed his daddy . Thats too cute. :) Im glad things are looking positive now though. Remember to listen to your doctor! Dont let Tinker talk you into doing things against Drs orders!!:tongue2:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I am glad your surgery went well. I had shoulder surgery myself in March of 2016 (while still recuperating from foot surgery that took place in January). I've been to fun. That wasn't it. Tinker sounds most adorable.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Here is Tuesdays arm.
Omg! That looks painful. I'm hope you will have a fast recovery.
Tinker sure was effected though
I read this and get sad for Tinkers sake, but also happy that he shows what a sensitive parrot he is. It is always better that we know.
And their is no doubt about who's parrot he is. ♡

I told him I was tired but he just ignored me and demanded more scratches. LOL
He really needed that love. Give him a kiss from me! ♡

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm glad your surgery went well and that you're home now. The bruising and swelling after surgery make things look ten times worse. Take care of yourself and give Tink a scratch from me, also give Teresa & Don "thank you's" for helping out and being there for you.

I don't know which is worse - being an invalid or having to care for one.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thanks everyone.
I am surprised by how much LESS pain I have with this shoulder than I had with my right one last February. I have already cut my pills from 2 every four hours to 1 and doing fine.

I'm right handed so things are much easier than when my right arm was in a sling.

Tinker did just fine this morning and is back to his PITA self. He's sitting behind me right now chattering away.