• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I thought my old Wild Amazon was a PITA to train but this guy has taught me so much more. I certainly have had to hold my tongue when he pierces the skin on the back of my hands but it has worked out for the better. They have all healed up now. Kind words and encouragement is what it takes for sure.
He now recognizes my evil eye when he goes after my laptop keyboard and the spray button on the sink faucet. But some days it's to the devil with you I'm going to do it anyway. LOL

Either way we are having fun and that's what counts.
All of you are learning together which makes it more fun. You also get to see things from Tinker's point of view and seeing something from a fid's perspective can be quite an eye opener.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker was really quiet today. I think he knew I was not well. I had been to my doctor for a checkup and since they could find no records of me having the pneumonia shot that I know I got years ago she insisted I get another. Wow did I get the full blow reaction to it within hours. Super sore injection site, fever of over 101 and just plane felt like I could die and didn't give a hoot.
He was a good bird all day long and didn't eat much but played by himself so well.

Here he his just being Tinker.

20181213_173200.jpg 20181213_173207.jpg 20181213_173336.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a good boy. And he's cute too.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He was a good bird all day long and didn't eat much but played by himself so well.
They know. :)
When I was really sick for some years ago and Eloy was young I didn't think that he could be out at all. But those two weeks he was looking after me and was not leaving me. Every time I think of that I got sad but also it reminds me of why I love parrots. The bond you have with them is really special.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well it's that time of year and everyone is busy. Tinker for the most part has been a joy to have around. He has figured out the time that he goes back to his cage in the evening and it's no fun trying to put him to bed.
UGH I now have to literally pick him up and carry him to his cage. Smart little chicken figured out the walnut trick immediately and now ignores me when I put it up as a lure to his cage bowl. I think it's the end of a TV show Teresa watches till 8pm every night that tips him off.

He loves to shred paper that is red. Teresa left the weekly flyers out the other day.
20181214_125625.jpg

He also pulls at your heart strings when he does this.

20181214_191336.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well it's that time of year and everyone is busy. Tinker for the most part has been a joy to have around. He has figured out the time that he goes back to his cage in the evening and it's no fun trying to put him to bed.
UGH I now have to literally pick him up and carry him to his cage. Smart little chicken figured out the walnut trick immediately and now ignores me when I put it up as a lure to his cage bowl. I think it's the end of a TV show Teresa watches till 8pm every night that tips him off.

He loves to shred paper that is red. Teresa left the weekly flyers out the other day.
View attachment 292755

He also pulls at your heart strings when he does this.

View attachment 292756
Tinker is just too cute. Two smart too.
Whoever came up with the term bird brain had no idea of what they were talking about.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Haha! Smart arent they? Lucy also doesnt like going to bed and the ONLY way she will go most nights is if she gets to ride on top of your head to her cage and then you have to insert your head into her cage and let her step off. Oh, but what would we do without them and their certain colored paper preferences?! Tinkers adorable :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker survived the family flock of 20 as we all got together Sunday for food and gifts. There was too much going on and lots of shiny things for him to attack so I never let him out. This didn't seem to bother him at all as he played well in his cage and was quiet for the most part.

Today thought is a quiet one for us till we head out for dinner later today but in the mean time Tinker would like to say Merry Christmas to all our friends here on AA.
He also just loved his new shedding toy Dad and Mom make up for him.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
It looks like Tinker is finally off the Parrot seed mix from the bulk food store. He now eats his breakfast of beans, chick peas etc that Teresa cooks up for him. I give him pellets soaked on a bit of Pomegranate juice everyday at noon that he loves. Puss he eats his dry pellets that are always available.
We used this muffin mix I found somewhere and he devours it at bed time.

Parrot Muffins Recipe

Thought I'd share my recipe for parrot muffins for anyone who's interested, my girls love them!

2 very ripe bananas
1 jar of vegetable baby food
2 tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp red palm oil
1 egg (with crushed shell)
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup water
1 cup pellets
1/2 cup almonds
2 cups corn bread mix (from bulk barn)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tap baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl:
Mash bananas
Add baby food, oils, egg and water and honey. Blend with mixer until smooth
Powderize (not a real word) egg shell, almonds and pellets in a blender
Slowly add dry ingredients while mixing

Grease mini muffin tin, fill each cup about 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 min or until toothpick comes out clean
(You can also make in a shallow cake pan and cut into squares)

My girls get 1/2 a muffin each per day as a treat. Enjoy!