• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
what a sweetheart :D

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Tinker:heart: I can’t Possibly find him though... I think you posted the wrong pic:D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have been waiting for an update so now I'm a little bit disappointed.
But perhaps next post will contain a pic of Tinker? For you can't really mean that he is in that bag? :wideyed::rolleyes::D

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Well today Tinker refused to let me take him to his cage so I could do a morning chore. Well it got to the point I just had to trust him and went to do my job.

Great now where is the little devil now? I called but no peeps or anything, total silence! I look everywhere and under everything. Checked the master bedroom, under the bed behind everything. Now I'm worried so down to the lower level that he has visited by accident a couple of times. Five rooms I go through and no sign of the little B.......r.
Back up stairs and call again, nothing and it has been twenty minutes and now I thinking the worse.

Wait what's that, a tapping sound down the hall. Off I go back to the master bedroom then I here it again. Looking up he only has his head sticking out over the ceiling lamp shade. By this time I'm glad he's ok but peeved at the same time.
Well he is a stubborn gray chicken and refuses to come to me. I have to get the ladder and embarrass him all the way back to his cage.

He's not happy but I have to clear 10" of wet heavy snow as it looks like we will get much more before noon.

I wish I had taken a picture but by then I wasn't in a picture taking mood.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They liketo try our patience and scare the crap out of us.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Almost the same thing happen me when Eloy was young. (but not the end)
And after looking for him for a while I started to panicking and was started to look for him in places where I don't want to find him. (dangerous places)
But then suddenly he made a happy sound that I'm sure of was a laugh (at me). And their he was, placed on top of my cabinet, sitting still all the time with no sound and enjoyed himself looking at mum running from room to room.
He was very cheap when I found him! :D

Parrot learn human - don't leave us for so long...

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here it is almost a week since my last post and things have been going along great. Tinker has started to recall again and has been asking for a shower with the misting bottle everyday and enjoying it wings out and all. He has been chatting up a storm while standing on the fridge and Hello is certainly getting very clear.

Today he was a joy to be with and he wanted to play and rolled over into the palm of my hand while I tickle his feet and he chewed a piece of coloured wood.

I was in town today and got him a small rubber foot ball and a new hanging chew toy. He kept tossing the ball and them getting it and tossing it. Loads of fun.

I then went over to his cage top to hang the new toy.

That's when all hell broke out. I didn't see him coming and he bee lined right at my arm and drew blood, he then flew away then dive bombed my head. I put up my other arm to protect myself and now have a nasty blood blister. I had to distract him with a piece of newspaper to get away from his attacks.

If this is a territorial thing is has me puzzled since I am the one that cleans his cage and changes all the toys etc when needed with him helping, up to now it seems. He went after me again even when I wasn't anywhere near him.

He is just 6.5 months old now so I will be patient with the little devil.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Oof. That's a tough one. I've never had to deal with that kind of cage territoriality in a bird that wasn't frightened/un-tame before, so I don't really have any concrete suggestions. Maybe it was just a momentary fit of brattiness :fingerscrossed:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is just 6.5 months old now so I will be patient with the little devil.
Yes please be that. ♡
And also if you can don't be a target. That's why I just leaving them and give them time outs.
That way they can't get more angry of something you do and will begging you to come back in a while.
When it comes to this kind of attack I think it is important to find the reason and avoid it. And if you can't don't try to lecture them, because you will only loose.
If it was my parrots that did that I have removed that new toy. And every thing that trigger them to an aggressive behavior.

I didn't see him coming and he bee lined right at my arm and drew blood,
I'm so sorry. I hope it heels fast. ♡

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Could it have been the toy you were going to hang that he didn't like? Maybe the colour or he thought it was attacking you or his cage?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
When it comes to this kind of attack I think it is important to find the reason and avoid it. And if you can't don't try to lecture them, because you will only loose.
Still don't know why for sure. This morning he stepped up and came out of his cage with no problems 3 hrs later he lunged at me when I tried to put him back but Teresa had him step up and he went back fine. Beginning to think he has picked her already. I had a project to finish in my wood working shop and was gone most of the day. He lunged at me when I went to get him to step up when I came back in the house several hours later. Normally he would fly over to say hello.

He did let me fix his new toy that he had chewed the knot on and rehang it without biting me though. I was leaning on the back of the couch a few minutes ago and he flew over beside my arm. He took a run at my hand but missed it.

Got to just play this out and see where it goes.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today Tinker is all sweet and rosy. Not one lung or bad episode, nothing.
I decided to check my whisky bottle but it's fine so he didn't have a hangover. LOL

Oh and I do heal well so long as I don't scratch the scabs off. 4 on the right hand, 2 on the left and a couple of nasty blood blisters on each forearm.

I didn't think a baby would be this much of an issue but then I think of my own kids and shake my head.

Isn't life fun! LOL

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I didn't think a baby would be this much of an issue but then I think of my own kids and shake my head.
They are sensitive souls, but it doesn't matter how demanding they are, because they give so much love and joy back.
Well today Tinker is all sweet and rosy. Not one lung or bad episode, nothing.
Great! :)
I decided to check my whisky bottle but it's fine so he didn't have a hangover. LOL
Also great!? LoL!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Today was another good day with Tinker. He helped me vacuum and mop the floor with no issues at all. Well other than he wanted to take over the mop handle. He sat on my shoulder and never tried to eat my ear or take my glasses.
Cage washing went well as he sat on the top watching me wash and wipe it down. Good boy.

His misting was good today as well with his wings out and turning his back and lifting his tail up and down to get washed. He ended up a total wet head when we were done. He then spent an hour straightening all those feathers out.

Speaking of feathers, he now has a gap in the middle of his tail and one in the left wing you can see when he flies. These feathers just fell out this week along with many of those white downy feathers. I'm wondering is he is starting his first molt and this is the reason for his crankiness. I didn't think they would start a molt this young but then he is a month past his siblings in development from what the breeder tells me.

Either way when he gets to pushy and excited I stop interacting with him and walk away.

Seems to be working. X Fingers.