• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well . . . I know for absolute certain that Java is a male

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That's what you get for not having a Vasa! HAHA You'll never have to worry about a conure's schmeckle hanging out.
Is it just Vasas, or other parrots too? I've literally been telling my friends that the only way you can tell gender in parrots are the ones that have different coloring or crests, but with GCC's it has to be through DNA (at least I know that is still true!).

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WUT. I didn't think birds had those...? Need to find the emoticon for "mind blown"!
Yeah, I think Vasa are the only parrot species to have an external schmeckle. It's one of the reasons they aren't that popular

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For educational purposes:
20180819_130250.jpg
P.S. Good luck un-seeing that lol it also gets much bigger and about as wide as a hotdog

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It is educational though because the rest of us wouldn't have a clue. In fact, a first thought would be that this bird had a prolapsed something-or-other. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you rushed your Vasa to the vet thinking of a costly emergency only to find out that it's (ahem) all natural?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is educational though because the rest of us wouldn't have a clue. In fact, a first thought would be that this bird had a prolapsed something-or-other. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you rushed your Vasa to the vet thinking of a costly emergency only to find out that it's (ahem) all natural?
Tell me about it. In fact, when Vasas were first imported, vets thought the males were prolapsed, so they did a number of procedures, some even amputation. Sadly, the males died.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Tell me about it. In fact, when Vasas were first imported, vets thought the males were prolapsed, so they did a number of procedures, some even amputation. Sadly, the males died.
That is sad. Maybe something to keep in mind - the experts do not always "know it all".

Similar story to the Vasa but not as sad: when ekkies were first found they were thought to be two species - one red and the other green. So they kept pairs of all red or all green and were disappointed that there were no offspring. Then, after further studying, they realized that the red & purple were hens and the greens were cocks ....

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Educational or not. That was just mean!

It was funny trying to explain the morning....situation to my son. Also, trying to explain that he hadn't actually wet the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.