• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, I hate my neighbors...

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Just steal the bird and give it a good home. People like that don't deserve the bird.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
they probably think they are doing it a favour and dont realise.
Unfortunately, knowledge of good bird care isn't as commonly known as the care of other animals. :o: They may love their little bird and like @Clairecanary15 said, think that they are properly caring for it and could be very sad if he were missing.

Now if you speak to them or leave a note and they disregard it, have the authorities tell them. You could always choose to adopt it legally from the shelter.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They might have heard sunlight is good for birds....they might have never stayed outside long enough to realize there's no SHADE and it's HOT.

I technically agree with @Shinobi but am going to stand by my post so as not to contribute to the delinquency of a minor!!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
They might have heard sunlight is good for birds....they might have never stayed outside long enough to realize there's no SHADE and it's HOT.

Find out why the bird was out so long? They could have had an emergency and had to leave in a hurry.
Things happen.
This...

You don't really know the reasoning they probably mean good just didn't think about predators or shade. Not everyone is a expert on care and yes I know people should do research but we all know that not everyone does.

In any case... Stealing the bird could get you in trouble if you get caught. How upset would you be if someone took your pet out of your yard? Just let them know you seen cats stalking the bird outside and suggest to put half the cage in the shade.

If someone waltz into my yard and tried to take one of my pets no one would ever find their body just saying :)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Someone in town used to have two cockatiels and a budgie which they kept outside constantly May to october in little travel-sized cages on the porch with no toys. When it rained they put garbage bags on them. I talked to them twice, once when it was 40 degrees and raining and they were still outside and once when I came by at night and there were raccoons on the porch by them eating their cat's food. They brought the birds in both times but just for one night. One day last year I saw the cages were on the ground and the birds were gone, I don't know what happened but they either got eaten, escaped when the cages flipped, or just died and the owners threw the cages off the porch.

I would be tempted to take the canary, I had often considered taking these birds after dark but could never be sure they didnt have cameras up.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Be sensible with this matter. It would break my heart seeing the canary in the conditions you have described but I would first approach the neighbour verbally or by leaving a note...if nothing is done after 24hrs I would contact the correct animal welfare. .this is the best course of action for all concerned.
Stealing somebody elses property is against the law, which in this case sucks. If you feel so strongly go straight to the animal welfare. I have gone straight to animal welfare on one occasion because my neighbours were not approachable. They had rabbits and chickens in their garden just in small cages...full sun and barely anything to eat. One rabbit died... my family noticed the rabbit hadnt moved for 24hrs..it was still there 3 days later! Grrr...
I feel very strongly about animal neglect and will not tolerate it.
You are in a very difficult position and sadly it is upon you to make a decision...you know what you are able to do and what you are comfortable doing.
Let us know what you decide..we are here for you..from all over. Im from the UK

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Yeah, I'm not actually going to hop a fence and take a bird. :dead: You don't have to worry about that. I think most people were either joking or mentioning it as a last ditch life or death type of thing. I'm going to keep an eye out for the folks there and talk to them if I see her outside again. It's raining now, and she's thankfully indoors.