• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, I hate my neighbors...

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
For the past few days, my mom's been yelling at me. My dogs will randomly start barking at their yard. For the past few days, I didn't know why.

This morning, I saw a cat bolting from their yard and went to go see why it kept coming.

They have a canary. In a cage. Outside. No shade, no supervision. No one even came outside all day. Sure, it's on a stand, but it's only as high as a coffee table.

This is gonna end soooooo poorly. :meh:

20180521_184616.jpg

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no :(

Garet

Real Name
Garet
IMO you can educate them in proper care, offer to buy it, or steal it.

Which is your highest and best self?
I'd probably want to talk to them first, maybe subtly offer to take her if they would rather have money instead of a bird. I mean, this is also dangerous for the cats since I got dogs. If they come into our yard....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'd probably want to talk to them first, maybe subtly offer to take her if they would rather have money instead of a bird. I mean, this is also dangerous for the cats since I got dogs. If they come into our yard....
That sounds like a good plan. But to me there is no time to spare since there's a cat around!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor canary! :(

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That sounds like a good plan. But to me there is no time to spare since there's a cat around!
Several, actually. I know we have a colony, a falcon family, along with possums, skunks, and raccoons. :/ I told the folks above them about the one cat I saw, and I'm going to go see if they at least take it in for the night.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It looks like she's in for the night, at least.
:cry3::nervous:
Let them know there is astray cat been around ready to gobble up tweety!

They may be new to birds...maybe they care...
I hope they care and maybe didn't realize that there are so many predators in the area. :dead: You'd figure it would just be common sense not to leave a tiny bird outside all day like that. Their yard basically gets full sun all day...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh, H#((,,,, Just steal it ,,knock the cage down and leave a feather or two...if they ask, tell them you've seen a few feral cats in the area,,,and rats! You've seen rats...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
:coffeescreen: You guys are really making it hard for me to be a good neighbor.

Oh, H#((,,,, Just steal it ,,knock the cage down and leave a feather or two...if they ask, tell them you've seen a few feral cats in the area,,,and rats! You've seen rats...
I saw plenty of squirrels around the cage. They're basically rats... :angelic:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
IMO you can educate them in proper care, offer to buy it, or steal it.

Which is your highest and best self?
I agree with this. I don't think we can encourage criminal behavior. I'd say talk with them, let them know you have birds, too, and start up a friendly conversation. Tell them their bird is beautiful and ask where they got him, how long they've had him. Maybe you could even drop off a toy as a gesture. (If that toy also provided a shady spot, that would be great, though I'm not sure what that would be.) If they refuse to consider the animal's welfare I'd certainly let your local Animal Services know.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I knew where this thread was going when I saw it in the canary section:lol: I hope they either open their eyes to the needs of this bird or surrender/sell him to you! Poor bird, at least he is in for the night:heart:

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
If you can't speak to the neighbour you could leave a polite note on their front door or on the cage itself?

If no action is then taken after that then report the problem to your local animal welfare...

It is neglect. .they probably think they are doing it a favour and dont realise.

Note could be from a friendly bird lover.