• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcoming Cosmo to the flock

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@iamwhoiam I'm actually not sure if he can say it yet, I haven't heard him say it yet, but that doesn't mean he can't. I'm still on the fence with it. I think it's just I had a few names in mind before I even went to see him since I actually didn't know till I got there that he was a rehome, and 8 years old. I actually met him back in October at a bird fair and even then I didn't know, and he just looked like a young meyers to me initially. I'm not going to be upset if I don't change his name though, just kind of debating it haha.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You stated that he knows his name so I inferred that he could say it. If he knows it I wouldn't change it, JMHO.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So here's my take on the name thing.

My birds never have just one name. They have a multitude of nicknames that they respond to just as much as their "real" name - sometimes more so. Would anyone say that it's wrong to give a bird a nickname?

Additionally, you don't know the whole history of the bird. We don't know that his name HAS been Cosmo the whole time.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

MaxwellEdison

Meeting neighbors
Cosmo is so cute!
I rescued my senegal in May. He is 5 years old and his name was Smitty. I totally hated that name and he didn’t know it so I changed it to Maxwell Edison. He now responds to his name now and seems really happy.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I rescued my pionus 3 years ago. He came with the name Leto and says it so I kept it.

If you change it maybe you could use something that's has a similar ring like Coco or MoMo or something.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I changed my girls name (I posted on your Facebook post with my Meyers hybrid). She came to me with the name xayah and I changed it to Mali. I just couldn’t go with Xayah. She is young though so I’m not sure she really cared about the name change or even noticed:). Congrats on your cutie! My Mali bonded very quickly with me. She lets me do anything with her but she has a strong dislike for everyone else in the family. Does your boy have the Meyers turquoise back? 69C7CF2B-F236-4433-B937-DAA960F0F9D3.jpeg

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Laylatoo Hi again, small world :D I'll have to see if I can get a picture tomorrow, but it's this SUPER bright green, with maybe a slight blue lean? Not nearly as blue/turquoise as hers. He's also pretty dark green towards the shoulders. I also still think she's absolutely GORGEOUS! :heart:

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Looking forward to more pics, final name selection, and watching you two bond:). Mali made me fall in love with Pois. She is my little accessory. Always wants to be with me. Your new boy is adorable too! Make sure to share a ton!

@Laylatoo Hi again, small world :D I'll have to see if I can get a picture tomorrow, but it's this SUPER bright green, with maybe a slight blue lean? Not nearly as blue/turquoise as hers. He's also pretty dark green towards the shoulders. I also still think she's absolutely GORGEOUS! :heart:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Congrats on your new addition.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking forward to more pics, final name selection, and watching you two bond:). Mali made me fall in love with Pois. She is my little accessory. Always wants to be with me. Your new boy is adorable too! Make sure to share a ton!
Yes! Yes! All of this :dance4::dance5:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! He's very handsome!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He's beautiful...congrats!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, I agree he is a cross as Meyer's have dark grey or brownish grey wings not green.

If you really don't like the name, try using the new name with the old for awhile and then eventually drop the old. Just because he doesn't say his name, doesn't mean he doesn't know it. Only 1 of my birds says their own name but they all know their names. That doesn't mean they couldn't get used to a new name and I do use nicknames too. :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I've started working in the new name I chose and so has my husband. He's sooooo smart and it's fun learning all the things he can say and sounds he does. He's a very talented whistler, laughs when I laugh now, and says a ton of stuff. He's already learned to say Ollie and Diggy too. If he wouldn't of latched onto me and bit as hard as he could before we brought him home, I would never guess that he's been traumatized and has that in him. He's so interested in everyone and everything, and LOVES when I talk to him and play the copy game. I know I can get him to the point where he trusts me, I'm just not forcing him and letting him do it at his own pace. :) Oh the new name is Slade, if it sticks.