• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcoming Cosmo to the flock

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'd like to introduce everyone to Cosmo! I just adopted him from a wonderful lady who rehabs rehomed birds. He's 8 and loves scritches. I need to work up the trust bond though since he does bite if you try to get him to step up, but he was great with her so I know we can get there. @Mizzely said she doesn't think he's full meyers though, maybe mixed with brown head since he has more green and the light beak. He does have some yellow on his head too, which I posted too. I'm thinking she's right but figured I would ask opinions here too! Regardless, I love him!
IMG_20180223_175516_964.jpg 20180223_190328.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome Cosmo! He is very pretty! Thank you for adopti him! I don’t think he is a full Meyers either, it seems very possible to me that he has Some brown head in him too:D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's cute regardless :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Congrats.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
He's such a cutie, congrats on the new addition :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I adore Meyers. Never had one though. Good luck and welcome Cosmo.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh also, I think the beak screams hybrid, too. Meyers have all black beaks and darker wings, whereas the Brown Heads have a horn or two tone beak and green wings.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cosmo is a cutie. I don't have personal poi experience so I've no idea if he's full meyers or not. But so sweet.

Do you know any of his story before his foster home? Did you give him the name Cosmo or was that his name preyou?

Welcome to AA :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
That was the name he came with, and he knows it too so even though I kind of want to change it, I probably wont. All she really knew is he had 2 homes before her, and that his biting issue is why he was rehomed both times. His band is from Florida though.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :)
@Mizzely said she doesn't think he's full meyers though, maybe mixed with brown head since he has more green and the light beak.
I agree with Mizzely. I have had them both and I see both in your beautiful boy! ♥
I need to work up the trust bond though since he does bite if you try to get him to step up,
Their is no need to make/demand them to step up. He bites to tell you that he don't want to step up, (he don't trust you so why should he? Smart boy if you ask me) so very easy to avoid that bites.
Create a good trusting bond and let him decide what he wants to do or not.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Eloy I definitely agree. I think he will get there, the lady who had him could do anything she wanted with him, he stepped up, she could pick him up, even put him on his back. I think there is a wonderful, friendly personality locked up inside, but it's just wrapped in previous trauma from something someone did to him. I'm happy at this point that he is eating, drinking, and even talking and showing me some of the cool stuff he can do. Once he starts playing I'll breath a sign of full relief.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Also, opinions needed, am I complete jerk if I change his name? The foster and his last home he had that name, so I feel bad about the idea, but I kind of had others in mind, so I'm not sure what is the best thing to do.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He'll get there, it just might take a bit for the full trrust account to be full like it was for her.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Start giving him a nick name and see how he takes it. Nerd was Nerd his whole life and knew it was his name, Lurch we have no clue what his name might have been, Dobby was Dobby when we got him and he says it so it stays.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If Jingo was adopted out and had no name history, he would be Koopa, Gizmo, Lydia, or Bobber, because he says ALL of those but not his own name :lol: Just food for thought for the "if he says it, it stays" camp :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Dartman I said my whole rule was if he says his name I wouldn't change it before we even went to see him, but he definitely knows it when I say it. I'll try starting to randomly call him what I want, that's what @Mizzely suggested too haha.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Both Meyers and Brown headed are very friendly birds.
My girl that was a Brown headed was abused from her last owner and after beginning trusting me you never could have guessed that.
She was the sweetest ever, and very friendly. They just need a little bit more time, and no demands at all.

I never demand my birds to do anything, and I also only using positive reinforcement. I never say No, or punish them in any way.
And do you believe me when I say that they are so easy to handle and that they are so great in doing trick training.
If you only use positive reinforcement you will get very happy birds that want to do things for you. But, they have always a choice to not to, and they know that, it's important! :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch said all kinds of things when he got here, none of them appeared to be his name. Nerd never talked but he knew his name I gave him was Nerd and would answer to it. Dobby was named Dobby by Momazons Daughter as she was a big Harry Potter fan when they got him so I know it's his and have the back story on it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Cosmo is very cute and does look like a Meyer's/Brown-head hybrid. Do you absolutely hate his name? He has had that name for several years and since he can say it I wouldn't change it.