• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcoming committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hehe:

ellie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa
I love chickens! They are such sweet and entertaining animals. The big girl looks like one of mine (named Ginger after Chicken Run). What breed are the younger ones?

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
Thanks. I love them too. The babies are silver laced Wyandotte x Sussex if I remember correctly.
The big girl was broody and desperately trying to hatch a Christmas bauble so I felt sorry for her and bought six fertile eggs and snuck them into her nest lol. She's a fantastic surrogate mum and very protective of her babies still. They're about 7weeks old now and I've loved watching them grow.

This is when they had just hatched
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365138623.237446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365138665.042962.jpg

I'm a bit worried that one if not two may be roosters though.

ellie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa
Awww. That's so sweet of her. I love the way mama chickens protect their babies. Are you not allowed any roosters in your area or do you already have one?

I had two broody (bantam) girls too. After 3 months of stubbornness I decided to get some 1 day old chicks for them. Peggy didn't know what to do and started attacking the poor chicks but Lorraine protected them and adopted all 7 of them. They are 4 weeks old now. 2 more weeks and they can start sleeping with my whole flock.

Here is Lorraine with them just the other day:

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
Oh I love bantams! Your girls are gorgeous <3

I live in the suburbs and by law can't have any roosters because of 'noise disturbance' so if the ones I suspect ate roosters I am going to contact a local farm school and see if they will take them in. Will be sad to give them up though.

ellie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa
Thank you! :)

That's a shame. Hopefully they will have a nice home in the future. I have one bantam rooster and I had guinea fowl as well. The female guinea fowl made this awful noise all the time. We had to let them go but kept their brother since he doesn't make much noise.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Aww, I love all the little chick pictures. You guys are making me so jealous! I'd love to have a little flock of hens :heart:

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
I'm looking forward to when mum starts laying again (shouldn't be too much longer now the chicks are more independent) and then when the chicks are laying (if they all do) I won't have to buy eggs anymore. It's hard to find truly free range eggs in the stores that don't cost a fortune and I reuse to give my money to battery farms :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your chickens are very pretty! Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cool chicks.:)

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Im so jealous. I so would LOVE to keep chickens but we have so many foxes and racoons that I doubt it would work :(

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
Could you build an enclosed chicken run or would the raccoons etc just dig under?

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I have heard of a raccoon grabbing through space between fencing and killing a bunny by pulling it more or less through. :( Just something to think about. Raccoons are pretty resourceful. Maybe having a place inside for them at night would be best.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, they work as a team too. The mom will have her babies scare the birds to flush them to the other side, where the bigger stronger mom is waiting. I know of a GW macaw killed this way.:(

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Thanks. I love them too. The babies are silver laced Wyandotte x Sussex if I remember correctly.
The big girl was broody and desperately trying to hatch a Christmas bauble so I felt sorry for her and bought six fertile eggs and snuck them into her nest lol. She's a fantastic surrogate mum and very protective of her babies still. They're about 7weeks old now and I've loved watching them grow.

This is when they had just hatched
View attachment 139789
View attachment 139790

I'm a bit worried that one if not two may be roosters though.
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwwwww, I love chickens,,,,but hubby says absolutly not!!!!!:hehe:

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Yes, I have read horrible horrible stories :(

I couldnt handle going out in the morning and finding them gone or dead :(
I know a few people have made "raccoon safe" chicken runs, etc. But eventually they always seem to find a way in.

And we are over run with foxes and black bears...although I doubt the bears would mess with them but you never know. There's just too many dangers outside for me to comfortably keep them. I dont have the confidence that I could keep them safe....unless I brought them inside my house at night time and I have a funny feeling that Craig wouldnt like that hahahaha

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
We do get foxes but not so much in the suburbs luckily. Bears aren't a problem lol.
I have a 6x6 foot Avery that they roost in and I shut the door at night in case of wandering cats etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.