• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome Kito!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
So, we settled on the name Kito (obviously!)

We've been home less than half an hour, and I'm totally in love. He is hands-down the sweetest baby I've ever had on immediately coming home. Even our previous Goffin's 'too wasn't this sweet and lovey right off the bat!

Of course, first order of business, is grooming!

Wandering down the back of the couch to check out my spouse's hair... he apparently loves hair...

Speaking of loving hair... :lol: Time to groom new mommy!

What dis square thing you keep pokin' at meh?!

I am CUTE and I know it!

Doop de doo dum dum...

What down heeeeeere?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Oh, some details for those who are following along at home!

He is weaned onto seed mix, BUT, she also fed him lots of fresh and steamed veggies, dried bits, all kinds of good stuff. I have some 'home made' (by a lady at the local bird fair) dried chop mix, and he dove right in. So it won't be a battle getting him to eat good stuff (yay!)

He is DNA sexed male - I wasn't sure if she'd DNA sexed them or just visual.

He LOVES scritches all around his neck; if you put your hand up to him he will burrow his little head right in between your fingers and close his eyes expectantly :swoon:

He's so chatty! If he doesn't want to do something (like step up, lol) he will make little angry grumbly noises. If he's enjoying himself, he makes the cutest little peepy-mumblings.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. He is very cute. How old is he?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
He hatched in July (she couldn't remember the exact date, she said she'd get back to me when she looked it up). So... four-five months?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Kito is adorable! So happy you have him home. Seems like he didn’t have any travel issues by how happy he is. I’m also very happy that he loves his scritches & cuddles. Kito seems like he will be a wonderful addition & exactly what you were looking for! Congrats :hug8::heart::D

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Oh this reminds me of Tinker when he came home. Such a cuddle bug.

I see he has had his wings clipped are you going to let him be full flighted?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Oh this reminds me of Tinker when he came home. Such a cuddle bug.

I see he has had his wings clipped are you going to let him be full flighted?
Planning on it, yes. He was already fledged & clipped when I 'found' him, so nothing to be done for it; but I will let them grow out with his molt. We have no fans or openable windows in the main living area, so no reason not to as long as he isn't left alone unattended, which I wouldn't do anyway.

I just can't get over how sweet he is, given that he just met us today!

He has been begging to be hand-fed this evening, even though he is weaned and eating fine on his own, so tomorrow I'll pick up some birdy formula for evening comfort feedings :)

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Kito is precious!! :hug8::heart:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Wow, been a while!
I lost my little Tyrallon very unexpectedly just before Christmas, and I don't deal so well with the holidays these days anyway, so.. it was a rough month or so.

That said! Kito is doing very well. It's very hard for me to get pictures of him, because even if he's blissfully getting scritches, the moment he sees me 'paying attention' to my phone with my other hand, he's over there in a flash to check out/destroy the interloper XD I think he's more curious about it than actually jealous/angry, but I don't want to take the chance haha.

He's already started to mumble 'wordlike' sounds, though nothing clear yet. He's started imitating my giggle, though, which is unbearably adorable in his tiny little voice.

He's still a total little lovebug! If he's sitting on my shoulder and I neglect to love on him for a moment, he'll butt his head against my cheek, it's the cutest 'pet me' I've ever had from a Grey. He seems to be bonding much more strongly with me than with my spouse, but that's okay, he's 'my' bird and as long as he and spouse get along "okay" we're good. He's gotten a bit nippy the last week or so, but I think it's just annoyance because my schedule's been upside down so he hasn't been able to get out of his cage as much.

However, that should be better now! His big boy cage came finally a couple of days ago, and we finished getting it set up last night!

As you can see, it's roughly three times the size of his temporary cage! I'll be putting in the rest of his toys and perches today. He spent all last night pretty much sitting by his foraging toy (the one he's next to in the picture). By the time he went to sleep, he'd already gotten all the treats out of it aside from the topmost cup, which is proving a bit more challenging since he can't reach it from the perch XD. Next payday I'mma have to get some more complex foraging toys!

Kodigirl210

It sounds like Kito is right on track. TAGs start speaking around 6-months. Sif is ahead for a CAG, but she’s special anyway lol. It’s great to hear that he is still wonderfully affectionate especially since you had a loss. (Very sorry to see that!). Kito’s new cage looks awesomely big lol. I bet he will be very happy in there. Lots room to move around & do stuff.
As for the phone, both of our babies seem to love them. Something about the plastic & the screensavers being the perfect consistency to chew. We’ve had a number of discussions with the CAG & the Conure but both missies seem to be ignoring us on the matter. I would most definitely keep the phone out of his beak. Lately I’ve taken to try to record Sif trying to talk. Maybe you can catch Kito giggling? At any rate, good to see you back & continued hopes that your little Kito continues to smother you in love! :D

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you have any unwaxed paper cups or coffee filters? If you do or can get them, take a coupla coffee filters, put a treat of some kind in and then wad up the coffee filter and place it into the cup. You can use as foot toy, it will drive Kito nuts!