• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Welcome home, Sampson and Smooches

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So great that they have found a soft place to land with you. Beautiful birds! Wishing you many years of joy with your new babies.
Your siggie needs an update ;)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if or when they will ever be close enough to take a photo together! My linnies weigh 70 grams and 63 grams. I think Crystal said Smooches weighs 43 grams and Sampson 53.
Holy moly your boys are so big! I read that Linnies often weigh between 47-55 grams. Gigi weighs exactly 50. She seems very sturdy to me but apparently she's little like your new boys!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Holy moly your boys are so big! I read that Linnies often weigh between 47-55 grams. Gigi weighs exactly 50. She seems very sturdy to me but apparently she's little like your new boys!
Wow I didn't know there was a size difference in the colors! I will have to trick my boys into getting a the scale, I have a turquoise and a cobalt. They're a bonded pair and I have been unable to hand tame them, but we still have fun. (Dona you know all this hahaha but for some reason I quoted on your post.)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Wow I didn't know there was a size difference in the colors!
I don't know that to be the case, just guessing a reason as to the size difference since it can be a factor in other species. Sometimes I forget that my green boys are larger than average.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Congratulations Lindsay! I believe one or both of them are brothers to my Winnie of the same mutation. She was paired with Py from the same breeder who we sadly lost to a tumor nearly three years ago and we decided to find another mate for her from a local breeder. We named him Newby because he didn't have a name. He's a normal green and sadly, he has developed cataracts as well. These guys are so precious.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just so fun that they are possibly related! It's a small Linnie world.
@suileeka and @jmfleish you have older Linnies. What are you finding about health as they age? Do you have a clue as to life expectancy?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I don't know that to be the case, just guessing a reason as to the size difference since it can be a factor in other species. Sometimes I forget that my green boys are larger than average.
Weight is something I've been thinking about since my new one is just puny! No nice way of putting it. Sprite, who is turquoise and has been a steady 52 g since the day I got him, looks like King Kong compared. The new one was a mere 38 g on Sunday, and I seriously hope he puts on weight quickly because that is too light. I will weigh him again in a couple days and I do expect progress since everything else seems normal at this point (behavior, vocals, poop, etc.). Not sure at what age they reach their full adult weight, but I would think at 4 months he should be closer than this to whatever his ideal is. Perhaps his upbringing diet wasn't so good.

-NG

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
@Dona My Dorian and new boy Sampson are both blind from cataracts, like @jmfleish 's boy. No other obvious physical signs of aging other than the yellow feathers all over their heads that linnies get as they age.

For lifespan, we are unfortunately missing data since the Linnie forum disappeared. I have heard 10-14, usually on the lower end of that. I have seen longer lifespans in Europe, but they have a much larger breeding pool there.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh I'm so glad you have them. Congrats!!!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Weight is something I've been thinking about since my new one is just puny! No nice way of putting it. Sprite, who is turquoise and has been a steady 52 g since the day I got him, looks like King Kong compared. The new one was a mere 38 g on Sunday, and I seriously hope he puts on weight quickly because that is too light. I will weigh him again in a couple days and I do expect progress since everything else seems normal at this point (behavior, vocals, poop, etc.). Not sure at what age they reach their full adult weight, but I would think at 4 months he should be closer than this to whatever his ideal is. Perhaps his upbringing diet wasn't so good.

-NG
OK I checked Gigi's weights. She was born 2/1/18, at 3 months-48 grams, 6 months-47, then from 10 months on, she has maintained 50 grams through 3 visits to vet. 38 sounds teeny and I hope he picks up weight soon.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dona My Dorian and new boy Sampson are both blind from cataracts, like @jmfleish 's boy. No other obvious physical signs of aging other than the yellow feathers all over their heads that linnies get as they age.

For lifespan, we are unfortunately missing data since the Linnie forum disappeared. I have heard 10-14, usually on the lower end of that. I have seen longer lifespans in Europe, but they have a much larger breeding pool there.
Thanks Lindsay. I deliberately chose a bird with a shorter assumed lifespan so I would hopefully not outlive her, but it makes me sad that Gigi might develop issues before age 10. I had a blind canary who managed very well for a few years. I've not heard of the yellow head feathers.

I do wish there was a Linnie forum. They just aren't that popular here. I have had birds all my life and never heard of them until I met Gigi.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I've not heard of the yellow head feathers.
Yes, their heads get gradually more and more yellow (or white, for Blue series) as they get older... I would take a photo of Dori and Basil if they would cooperate! KatharinaSittiche is one of the best informational linnie sites out there, but I don't see an English version anymore.. This page has some photos of aged linnies.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, their heads get gradually more and more yellow (or white, for Blue series) as they get older... I would take a photo of Dori and Basil if they would cooperate! KatharinaSittiche is one of the best informational linnie sites out there, but I don't see an English version anymore.. This page has some photos of aged linnies.
I wish I could understand German! The site looks amazing.
Oh my gosh, the green one looks like a little DYH zon! I told you all that Gigi was part amazon with all her attitude!

Well I hope to share a long life with my girl. I'll do my best to provide what she needs and hope for the best.

NorthernGannet

I wish I could understand German! The site looks amazing.
Oh my gosh, the green one looks like a little DYH zon! I told you all that Gigi was part amazon with all her attitude!

Well I hope to share a long life with my girl. I'll do my best to provide what she needs and hope for the best.
If you use Google Translate, it works fairly well. I spent quite some time today perusing the site! I'm sort of wondering if my newbie is a "lightened dark green". Go to Google translate, paste the url into the left side box, then choose English on the right side. Then click the link that appears in that box.

-NG
edit: here's the link translated. At work it worked fine in FireFox, but at home I'm only getting to work in IE.
Google Translate

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you use Google Translate, it works fairly well. I spent quite some time today perusing the site! I'm sort of wondering if my newbie is a "lightened dark green". Go to Google translate, paste the url into the left side box, then choose English on the right side. Then click the link that appears in that box.

-NG
edit: here's the link translated. At work it worked fine in FireFox, but at home I'm only getting to work in IE.
Google Translate
Fantastic! I will check it out! Thanks for the instructions.

"lightened dark green," interesting.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I do wish there was a Linnie forum. They just aren't that popular here. I have had birds all my life and never heard of them until I met Gigi.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't either! And when people ask me what kind of birds I have they look blank when I say linnie. And if I say lineolated parakeet, I know they think of budgies.

NorthernGannet

A few months ago when I went to our BIRD STORE, I asked one of the employees if they had access to Linnies. She gave me the blank stare and then kept calling them "Lennies" as she asked another employee. I kept correcting her but it didn't work. In the real world, I get a blank stare for Linnie as well as for parrotlet.

-NG