• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Weird shaped beak and practically no tailfeathers?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Update: I am picking up Ciri tonight at 7pm and have found out why her tailfeathers are like that. She was originally caged with an aggressive bird who was aggressive and would attack her. She still hasn't regrown them after being separated, so she should be feeling much better after a beak trim and her next molt.
Her owners did separate them,thankfully.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
About the beak. When we were younger my brother was given a parakeet by a pet store that had a beak deformity. The beak grew in the shape of an airplane....like a beak with wings. He had the beak periodically trimmed because it hindered eating...otherwise he was a VERY dear, sweet, healthy baby

I am editing this post because my editor hubby would be appalled. I have seen him way too many times have to correct this in the books he edits. So...lets do this again. No, the pet store did not have a beak deformity...the bird did.

Last edited:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
The beak does look very strange in the picture, I wonder if she was attacked and her beak was damaged by the aggressive cage mate. That would explain the blood too, then again having big feathers ripped out can cause bleeding too. Good luck! Update us when you can :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
The beak does look very strange in the picture, I wonder if she was attacked and her beak was damaged by the aggressive cage mate. That would explain the blood too, then again having big feathers ripped out can cause bleeding too. Good luck! Update us when you can :)
I'll update as soon as I get her home. I'm meeting the owner in about a half an hour not too far from our house.
If her beak is damaged, is there any way to repair it? I've never had a bird with a wonky beak before. It won't be a problem for me, but I'm worried about her health.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Honestly I'd probably clip her for her safety if I were you,
What? :bash: For safety?

@Garet
Budgies are excellent fliers, and their is no need to make them helpless.
They are also great eaters that need their flying to be healthy. They fly really well without their tail feathers too.
Good luck, and I'm happy that you get her. :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
About the beak. When we were younger my brother was given a parakeet by a pet store that had a beak deformity. The beak grew in the shape of an airplane....like a beak with wings. He had the beak periodically trimmed because it hinder eating...otherwise he was a VERY dear, sweet, healthy baby
Oh, that's good to hear. Very weird that his beak looked like that, though. I'd love to see pictures, if you have any!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What? :bash: For safety?

Budgies are excellent fliers, and their is no need to make them helpless.
They are also great eaters that need their flying to be healthy. They fly really well without their tail feathers too.
Good luck, and I'm happy that you get her. :)
If you think she'll be alright... I've never had a bird who didn't have all their feathers, so I'm sort of new to the realm of birds with these sorts of issues.

Thank you. ;; I'm leaving in about ten minutes to go pick her up.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I'll update as soon as I get her home. I'm meeting the owner in about a half an hour not too far from our house.
If her beak is damaged, is there any way to repair it? I've never had a bird with a wonky beak before. It won't be a problem for me, but I'm worried about her health.
I have no idea what you would do about it, I would just take her to the vet ASAP.
As @Eloy said they are great fliers and little gluttons. I recently rescued a parakeet as well who has a congenital wing deformity. Despite missing the tendons attaching his "elbow" joint he is getting stronger every day and tries his hardest to fly! I would leave the feathers and see what happens :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I have no idea what you would do about it, I would just take her to the vet ASAP.
As @Eloy said they are great fliers and little gluttons. I recently rescued a parakeet as well who has a congenital wing deformity. Despite missing the tendons attaching his "elbow" joint he is getting stronger every day and tries his hardest to fly! I would leave the feathers and see what happens :)
I'm already planning to take her to a vet once I find one that does budgies, so no worries about that.

You guys've convinced me not to give her a clip, though. Never had a clipped bird and I wasn't really happy about potentially having to do that to her. I know it's not as bad as declawing cats, but I don't like either procedure.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have three budgies and two came to me clipped. They were absolutely different birds before their feathers grew back in. More somber and less playful. They have been very chipper and active since they began to fly.
I think budgies, especially as these little bundles of feathered energy, truly need the ability to fly when at all possible to be happy.
So excited to get updates on your new baby once you get her! I’m so glad she’ll have a good home now. :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
UPDATE: We made it home safe and sound, and she's more badly injured than I thought. Her former cagemate also attacked and pulled out a chunk of her wing feathers. I'll post a pic in a moment.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Her cage is also broken and doesn't connect to the bottom, but it is thankfully clean.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry to hear that :( Btw I think you're amazing for taking this on. Sometimes it feels like we have to browbeat someone into take a sick or injured bird to a vet. But you're so on top of it. :heart: Thanks for giving her a soft place to land. I wish all the best to both of you.
:bighug:

Last edited:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Try the "upload a file" button :) the picture thing in the bar never works for me either.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Thank you so much for giving her a soft place to land!! I do wish all the luck for you and her! I can't offer any advice as I also have not dealt with this kind of situation before.. I hope the vet will be able to get her back into more tip top shape!

Again thank you so much for taking her in!!!!! Bless your soul! :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If her beak is damaged, is there any way to repair it? I've never had a bird with a wonky beak before.

Beaks can be repaired unless the root (base or whatever it's called) is damaged. Vets use plaster to repair splits, etc. and other types of damage can be taken care of by regular trimming. There are a number of birds on this forum who are completely missing their top or lower beak that are doing fine with special feeding and/or food.

Her feathers will grow back in, so that is not a worry (I don't mean clip her).

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Ooh, her wing does look rough. Thanks for taking her in. Hopefully with protection and care she will bounce back.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Oh, that's good to hear. Very weird that his beak looked like that, though. I'd love to see pictures, if you have any!
That was many many years ago : ) It was when we were teens ... I am an granny now