• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Weird lump on cockatiel face

Marco

Moving in
IMG_4539.JPG We have a 2 year old male cockatiel that started developing what we thought were just gucky feathers on one side of his beak.

We trimmed it off easily with a snip of some scissors. I noticed there was 1 drop of blood like perhaps what I cut off was more attached than I thought.

It didn't bug him at all. He continued on as per normal.

The "thing" grew back very fast and bigger!

Did a little research and thought it might be a type of scaly face. So we painted it with 0.8% ivermectin about 3 days in a row. Zero effect.

Next trip will be the vet but money is tight and if it's a more obvious cause I can treat at home, my budget would really appreciate that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very sorry, but I have only seen anything like that in photos of ill birds. You probably need to get him to the vet - particularly since it grew back so quickly.

If you are strapped for money, you can make use of Care Credit - https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Care credit is a good deal. It works for vets and dentist. The doc sets the number of months to pay the bill interest free. Hope you take your bird to get as soon as possible. The area looks nasty.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can figure out a way to get your bird to the vet. Please keep us updated in his condition.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please give us updates on your request for help with your bird.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Gosh looks like warts or cancer. I would not cut it off. I hope a vet visit will afford a easy remedy.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I hope you get to the vet soon. Please give an update

Crow lover

Sitting on the front steps
That looks serious. Thursday may be too long to wait. Does he chew on cage bars? Do you give him vitamins? Do you have any avian probiotics. They couldn't hurt. Any lumps near vent or on fee? Any chance a mosquito could have bitten him? Almost looks like Avian Pox but I don't know if that affects cockatiels. Possibly a fungal infection that will require Nystatin. HAMILTON & DISTRICT BUDGERIGAR & CAGE BIRD SOCIETY INC. has some tumor information. Make sure the vet you see specializes in birds or it can be just a waste of money. Good luck with with him! Keep him a little warmer than you normally do until he feels better.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Any word?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well I guess we will never know. @Marco

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
GO TO THE VET. Birds only show signs of illness once they are extremely sick. It may be a tumor, but it would be worthwhile to go to the vet in case it save your birds life.

Marco

Moving in
I'm so sorry guys for not getting back to you! I got so sick myself then I had my son's birthday to deal with and well the days ran away from me.

Anyway, the vet visit went well.

He diagnosed Avian pox. A self limiting disease that needs care support as the pox can result in weight loss and secondary infection and often lesions in the eyes etc.

He said apart from weight loss and a sign of some general mineral deficiencies (he said 6 out of 10 cockatiels on zoopreem show signs of deficiencies and to change him from this diet to nutri-berries) that everything else looked great.

Poo was fine, eyes and ears looked great.

He gave me some antibiotics for possible secondary infection and a diet of nutri berries to transition to and said give it a month and let him know if he does not improve.

I only cut off the first thing as it seriously looked like gooky feathers. Once it grew back we knew it wasn't. So we didn't screw with it again.

Anyway the lump fell off naturally 2 days ago and he's already looking so much better. He's currently singing his heart out to YouTube.

Thanks for all your advice.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the update, glad he's going to be okay!