• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Weird feet

Cockatango

Meeting neighbors
It took me a while to notice that Tango's feet don't match. Then it was the vet who said she also doesn't have claws at the back.
Has anyone got any tiels who are similar? And why do you think Tango has this (unfortunately I think it might be down to inbreeding :sad14:)

IMG_7040.JPG IMG_7049.JPG

Last edited:

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
That's odd...has she ever had her claws trimmed? Maybe they trimmed too close to the toe tip?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What makes you think that she was inbred?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wonder if they were nipped off by another bird? Are they shorter or just no nails?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They may have been removed by mom and/or dad when she was a baby. Sometimes that happens.

Cockatango

Meeting neighbors
if they had been bitten off by her parents or another bird, wouldn't they have grown back by now?
(my reason for thinking she may be slightly inbred is the fact both back toes are completely nail-less. i got her from a shop but she was one of just a couple bird wearing tags)

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
if they had been bitten off by her parents or another bird, wouldn't they have grown back by now?
(my reason for thinking she may be slightly inbred is the fact both back toes are completely nail-less. i got her from a shop but she was one of just a couple bird wearing tags)
To my knowledge, birds don't grow back toes, and we're talking about the parent nipping a toe off. I would take your 'tiel to a vet, just to check. You might want a full workup if you think your 'tiel is inbred.

Since you don't know who the breeder was, it's hard to know about inbreeding. White 'tiels are kind of hard to breed unless you have proven parents, so inbreeding is a possibility if your bird came from a breeding mill.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Nope, if the nail is just tipped it will continue growing but if the entire nail is removed then it doesn't generally grow back. Even if the entire nail is not removed, if there is major damage done to it, then it will fall out and won't generally grow back.