• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird feelings/ depression about new GCC???

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
OMG he is gorgeous as are all of your birds!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I dont think your feelings are abnormal! Your little ones are all beautiful and it sounds like you are going to be great buddies!

I do not get depressed with new birds, but with my last two rehomed "rescue" birds from craigslist, I really panicked! I have no idea why, but I got really stressed when I got them. I think it is the added responsibility. Going from two to four birds has created a lot more work for me. It might help to try to integrate him into your daily life. I work a lot also. I have places for the birds in the bathroom so they can hang out while I shower in AM and PM and get ready for work/bed. They have night cages near the bedroom. They have places in the kitchen. And they have their cages in the bird room. THey really seem to thrive on routine.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have places for the birds in the bathroom so they can hang out while I shower in AM and PM and get ready for work/bed.
He loves water so I got him a shower perch so he can come with me when I shower but he doesn't seem that into it, he'd rather splash around in his bowl.

Another issue I'm having is that I rent and it's supposed to be a pet free apartment. My land lord is super nice letting me have the birds here and she's trusting me to keep it clean. For this reason I have a hard time bringing him all around the apartment with me, I can't have him pooping on the carpet. I have put down a large rug that covers most of the living room floor. That's where his cage and play gyms are and he has free range of those areas but I can't bring him anywhere else very often out of fear of him pooping on the carpet. A lot of people suggest bonding by just doing chores and such with him but I can't really do that in my situation.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Omg those pictures with his eyes closed are so adorable! My mac looks like such a doofus when he makes that face IMG_1993.JPG

We just purchased a caique, and won't even bring her home until December and I am already having doubts about it! I know everything will turn out fine, but it's a change and us humans are creatures of habit :)
The moment we start snuggling our new baby though I know it is the right choice, and I'm not too worried about our big bird because (despite the picture) he hates being touched. Once in a blue moon he will come ASK for scritches, but if you try to give them without him asking be ready for a bite.
It will be a huge change for my family, right now Fritz is low maintenance, he wants food, water, toys to destroy, and us to occasionally talk to him. A caique is the opposite. I'm scared/excited to see what happens but can TOTALLY relate to this thread.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Get some of the clear vinyl office chair runners and like that for carpets and put them down. They last a while, are easy to clean, and pretty cheap. When they finally wear out buy some more and toss them. we used them all over Nerds favorite spots and might have to do similar for Dobbys area but he lives on the vinyl floored square by the supposed front door we never use. He can make a mess there and it's easy to vacuum or sweep up. Extra carpets is a great idea too for areas where he doesn't tend to poop and chuck wet food. You might want to see how he does with any trim on the walls and windows as many love to chew that stuff so might have to protect it with something or keep him away. Dobby has discovered the 1" trim boards they used here to hide the gaps between wall boards on the non dry walled areas as it's a manufactured home and that's how they built the non main living areas of these things.
He has chewed the strip by the laundry nook as he loves to sit on the curtain rod we use to hold the big drapes we use to hide the laundry stuff.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah I've thought about the office chair mats and that may something I'll look into. For now he's really good about staying in his play areas and doesn't get into much trouble, he just plays with his toys. His wings were clipped when I got him so he's not able to get up to the curtain rods. I'm not sure yet if I'll keep him clipped or not, I'll see how he does as they grow back.