• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

weird belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
i was petting Chloe, my 8 month old kitten. her belly has these weird bumps. She was at his moms for a while, so idk if she got into something there (if another cat got into her...) but i am suspecting pregnancy.. how would i be able to tell? is she too young? she has been eating a lot and feels heavier. i am just a little worried about these bumps if she isnt pregnant.. any ideas??

EDIT - his meaning the fiance's mom's. she let her out several times. also, i found out she ate tinsel, but she passed it. idk if she ate more or not.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its possible she could be pregnant,cats and dogs can have young when they are around 5 months old. Can you post a pic? If its not her teats she could be having an allergic reaction like hives in a human.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
its not under her nipples. its across her belly. idk if you can see them. lemme see if she will sit still long enough..

Last edited:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
checked her. can't see em in the pic . the bumps range in size from a us penny to a us quarter. most are round but one feels longer and thin.. i just wanna make sure she actually IS pregnant.. and not something really bad. no way to get her to a vet tonight.. should i take her in or what? idk what to do. she hasnt really changed much, just seems more affectionate.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
If she were mine, I would take her to the vet.

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'd go see a vet, better to be safe than sorry.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I hope she will be ok. I would take her in also.Will you also be considering getting her fixed so she cannot become preggo?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
i will take her to the vet, hopefully today.. will keep you guys informed. i'm worried about her.

what tests should i ask for? how will they test for pregnancy?

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
How long ago was this? Cat are only pregnant for around 65 days. They will give her an ultrasound or an xray. It is possible her mammary glands are swollen after she's been in heat.

Codyandme1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
if she is old enough i suggest getting her de-sexed/neutered, she may very well be pregnant, but if her tummy feels hard she may have worms, that would explain why she is eating more, although if she had worms she would most likely be losing weight, we think my cat got pregnant when she was that young, we had to de-sex her, otherwise if we had let her give birth she would have either fallen very ill or have died, her kittens wouldnt have survived either.
let us know what the vet says....:)

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If she is preggo, it's pretty dangerous for her and the kittens since she is so young. It's time to get her fixed. If she's acting normal and healthy, make an appointment as soon as you can and get her checked and spayed.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
UPDATE: We have an appointment finally tomorrow afternoon. We have no vehicle, so i have no idea how i am getting her to and from the vet, but i will bus it if i have to. The lumps are bigger... they all seem to be near her nipples..

I'm so worried that its cancer and that they are gonna want her to be put to sleep... i don't think i can handle that. :( My mind is going in circles right now and don't know what to do.. I don't know if i could afford a simple surgery for her... she is such a sweet little girl and i just feel horrible that she isn't feeling well. She seems a lot bigger and I'm the only one she will let touch her belly.

Someone please help?

Last edited:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Also, can i have this moved to the 911 thread?? I'm so worried about her. i just spent the last hour crying cuz i am afraid to lose her.. i don't know what to do..:(:(:(

Oh, I also found out, which i think i forgot to mention, she has worms. She pooped in the litter box while we were changing the litter and it was loaded with dead worms. looked like she ate a half cup of rice. :/

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, can i have this moved to the 911 thread?? I'm so worried about her. i just spent the last hour crying cuz i am afraid to lose her.. i don't know what to do..:(:(:(

Oh, I also found out, which i think i forgot to mention, she has worms. She pooped in the litter box while we were changing the litter and it was loaded with dead worms. looked like she ate a half cup of rice. :/

If you are seeing worms in her stool, then my guess is that could be causing swelling in her abdomen. It is good that you are taking her to the vet, because she will need treatment, and while most farming supply stores have wormer, I do not know if they carry it for cats, and you would need to know what type of worm she has.

The other thing is that many animals who are not spayed (from rats to cats to people), can and do get mammary tumors. These affect mammary glans, which are near the nipples, and often spread and grow. If it is a mammary tumor, she will need surgery to remove the tumors or she will continue to get worse.

The vet really is the best option for you at this point; I don't know what else you can do for her tonight.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
we gave her medicine for roundworms, since thats the only medicine we could find. it didnt work, so i am guessing she has tapeworms. That medicine, u have to get at a vet.. will applying something warm to her belly help or no?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah my guess would be tapeworms. Those are usually transmitted by fleas, so I would invest in some sort of flea medicine as well. As for what you can do tonight, I honestly don't know :(

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
The vet said we are going to do something for her fleas too. prob frontline or something similiar.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
They get tapeworms from ingesting fleas, so taking care of the fleas with medicine is the first part of the answer, and then a dewormer. Thankfully intestinal worms aren't such a big deal (although they are gross), and can be eradicated with an easy to administer medication. There's not really anything you can do for her until she gets the medication. You should take in a fecal sample that's less than 12 hours old when you go to the vet tomorrow so that they can also check for other intestinal parasites.

What vaccinations has your cat had? If she's getting outside be sure that she's had a feline leukemia vaccine.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
She has been outside twice at fiance's moms. Since she has been back, she hasn't been outside at all except for a few times for 30 seconds or less (however long it takes for me to catch her). She got feline distemper vacc but thats it. She had an eye infection, intestinal infection and a tapeworm last time we were there. The worms don't bother me nearly as much, cuz i know about those and easily treated. its the lumps i'm worried about. They move with the skin, so i know its not in her abdominal cavity. i've been looknig up things and i see masititis and cysts and tumors.. idk what to think. they have gotten bigger and they only seem to bother her if someone is touching her, other than me. she seems to pass a lot of worm eggs after i rub her belly. is this something i should or shouldnt do? since i have done this for her, her belly does seem a bit less bloated..

they take their own samples whenever i bring her into the vet and she will prob end up going while we are en route or at the office.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you need financial help for a spay operation, I suggest you look up SNAP or PAWS on line which do provide clinics to do neutering and spay operations at cost to the vet. I recently had my three female rescues spayed for $40 bucks each and they would have run me at least 200 each at the regular vet. There is a risk because they do no diagnostic workup before surgery, so if the cat has a hidden pysiological problem,they could die during anesthesia. Only took the vet one and a half hour to do all three and recover them enough to take them home. I paid extra for a time-release pain shot and their rabies and distemper shots, but the spays were only 40 bucks each.

As far as the bumps, I vote she is pregnant or she could have ringworm. Are the areas red?

Status
Not open for further replies.