• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weevils in Roudybush

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I had 2 opened bags of roudybush in my cupboard, and was using the ziplock of the resealable bag they came with for a while. Recently got decent-sized food containers that I could transfer the contents of the 44oz bags into.

The roudybush crumble was fine and had no signs of spoilage, but for the California blend mini pellets, lo and behold I think I see at least 2 species of weevils. Static made some tiny shed mealworm skins stick to the side. Now it might be entirely my fault if a bag was not resealed properly using the ziplock, but I've always made sure to press out the air and seal the ziplock. I can't help but wonder if the weevils got in with the produce itself. (Are these weevils from USA? Did they travel all the way to Singapore? lol. They don't seem to have a passport... I dont even have weevils in my rice bin for years.)

Reason being that none of the other ziplock bags in the same cabinet have an infestation and they were bought around the same time. I probably didnt notice them until I upended the bag and emptied it out...

What should I do? Its such a waste to throw the whole batch out (roudybush is imported food price sob...byebye $50) but if there is a threat of weevils to bird health then I probably will throw it. I was thinking of freezing the infected batch and maaaaybe serving the still good and fresh pellets? Use by date is Dec 2019.

Attachments

Gazimon

Just emptied an opened bag or Versele-laga seeds into a container... no weevils.

Checked the whole cabinet, no weevils or signs of their former lava / pupa stages.

Does this mean I have to freeze overseas produce? Not sure if freezing changes certain nutrients or any of that pre-biotic stuff.

edit: No weevils in Zupreem fruitblend either, and that packet I have had the longest as I only give my birds a tiny bit daily as treats. Use by was actually June 2018.

Last edited:

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
The freezing will kill all creepy crawlers and won't hurt the nutritional value of the food. I use to have to freeze my Goldenobles pellets cause of buggies when the fids ate that. I remember opening it and being smack in the face my moths! Yuck!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some people voluntarily add mealworms to their bird food :lol:

Freezer for a week at least if possible should kill them :)

Gazimon

Haha I used to keep a box of mealworms specifically because I could hear them crunching when I fed them fish flake food and I just thought that it was so cute to actually HEAR bugs eating. Then they got lesser day by day and I was clueless why.... until one day a very FAT gecko dropped from the ceiling... that guy was feasting everyday night! :roflmao:

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
The freezing will kill all creepy crawlers and won't hurt the nutritional value of the food. I use to have to freeze my Goldenobles pellets cause of buggies when the fids ate that. I remember opening it and being smack in the face my moths! Yuck!
My goldenobles don’t last long enough to get worms lol. I’ve started keeping everything in the freezer. This has been a horrible year for creepy crawlers.