• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning baby won’t accept formula feedings

A.V

Moving in
Hello,
I currently have an approx. 8 week old ringneck, and we are undergoing the weaning process. Yet around 4 days ago he/she began exhibiting the following behavior:

-Spending most of his/her time in the cage desperately flapping and jumping around to be let out

-Rejecting 2/3 daily formula feedings (only eats a bit of the nighttime round)

-Won’t eat any of the foods we provide in the cage (fruit, veggies, etc.)

-As of today began biting/attacking our hands

The events that lead up to this are asfollows:

-At approx. 5 weeks old: Kept in an empty, clean, transparent glass tank in between formula feedings, constantly exposed to us around the house, taken out periodically

-Approx. 10 days ago, transitioned to a temporary cage (26Lx14Wx22H”) andbegan being introduced to/eating fruits &veggies by him/her self from bowls

We are gravely concerned and would appreciate any feedback/info. Also, Iwould like to know if anybody could please provide or direct me towards first hand literature regarding the proper sizes of transitioning cages during this period of weaning.

Thank you!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Weaning and a new cage are both stressful. This may be playing into this new behavior.
Have you changed the way your handfeeding? or any of the utensils?
Did he eat the foods in the tank, that you are offering in the cage? Or are the foods in the cage new to him also?
If he's not taking formula, nor eating solids, what is he eating? Will he accept warm soft food from your hands?
Has he fledged?
Was he wanting to wean, or was it initiated by you because of his age?
From what I found 8-11 weeks is normal for weaning.
What kind of Ringneck is he?

More details will help us give you advice.

A.V

Moving in
Since before being transitioned into the cage he was being introduced to/eating some fruit and then after moving to the cage, veggies as well. He started to eat some soaked pellets too. He was having 3 feedings a day but then a couple of days ago began to reject the afternoon feeding regardless of me continuing to use the same formula, same utensils. The day after I observed this I continued giving the morning and evening feedings but skipping the afternoon one because that was the first he rejected. But then he started to reject all three feedings altogether and stopped eating fruits and veggies. I noticed that he was trying to learn how to fly while inside the cage and since then he is trying to get out constantly. When I take him out of the cage he flies a lot. I keep putting fruits and veggies every day but he just want to get out of the cage jumping up and down and doesn't eat. I continue offering the three feedings but he didn't want to eat until Tuesday that he ate some of the evening feeding and also yesterday’s evening feeding too. He starts to eat and then stops. He just wants to get away. But I keep trying anyway. I put toys inside the cage and last night I put some seed mix to see what happens. He is a blue (turquoise) Indian Ringneck. We still don’t know the gender.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Parrots do drop weight when they start to fledge. This could be what you're seeing.
They will start eating again, so don't stop offering feedings. Let him wean at his own speed.
Keep offering feedings (usually the night feeding is the last to go).
As for wanting out of the cage, that's pretty natural. Make sure their are toys and stuff to keep him busy when in it.

Others will be on soon that have weaned more babies than I. Mine were weaned years ago and I hope I'm not forgetting stuff.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One question, why a temporary cage and not the one he'll live in?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Sounds pretty normal to me.
Keep offering the morning and evening feedings and keep the other food in the cage.
If you have changed the utensil you were feeding him from (i.e. syringe to spoon) go back to what you know he was eating from.