• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We recently started our 40 gallon over..

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
We recently started our 40 gallon peaceful aquarium over and went with African Cichlids. Here are a few shots of some of our new tank buddies.

IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0731.JPG Fish1.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
HA! The no fishing sign is awesome,,:lol:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So exciting! Your fish are beautiful! Can you show us pics of the whole tank please. :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Africans! I used to keep them too, but it broke my heart when they would attack each other :shy:

They are beautiful fresh water fish :heart: Make sure to have tons and tons of rocks, crevices and hidey holes for them to escape from each other :cool:

Looking forward to the full tank shot!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
As promised, Full tank shots and a few more of the fish. :) In our tank we have several logs, a round log with holes in/out of it from all sides, a larger log that is also cave like, several smaller caves plus plants, and the skull of course. Along the back we have a bubble screen for extra oxygenation. Believe it or not, there are algae shrimp that live in the grass who go unharmed thus far. (Referred to by my kids as the cows) as well as two bristle nose plecos. :) Tank1.jpg tank2.jpg tank4.jpg tank5.jpg tank6.jpg ,

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't mean to be a turd but as your fish mature and settle in they'll kill the shrimp for sure and probably the bn plecos :(

They are very aggressive esp if they establish pairs and territories.

I wish you all the best. They are beautiful! I don't want to be a downer. I just want to warn you.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I don't mean to be a turd but as your fish mature and settle in they'll kill the shrimp for sure and probably the bn plecos :(

They are very aggressive esp if they establish pairs and territories.

I wish you all the best. They are beautiful! I don't want to be a downer. I just want to warn you.

Oh I am aware that they may kill the shrimp, but the twins (4 years old) would not let me rehome them. (We moved all our peaceful fish to the twins pre K classroom.)

As for the Plecos, they can kill them (heck they are known for killing each other too) but there are ways of avoiding them becoming overly aggressive. The first is to frequently change up the tank, and second to keep the tank slightly over stocked. By keeping a "busy" tank they are less likely to be able to develop territories which causes the majority of aggression. (Defending it from others) Of course lots of hiding places, and plants to help break the tank up also helps.

We are still working on stocking our tank ~ one of the drawbacks of living in small town USA is only having two pet stores locally and I have cleaned them both out of Cichlids. Both are working at getting more in for me. ;)

*edit* I forgot to add we already have added filtration to compensate for the slightly crowded conditions required.

While I have never owned cichlids before, I did work in a local aquarium store for several years. I always loved the aggressive fish. I am thankful that I am able to own them now. Next adventure will be a reef tank ~ but not till the twins are in High school. :D

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for the tank pic, Summer! Very nice! I miss my fish tank but don't have the energy for one anymore. They are a lot of work but a lot of fun! :D

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laughing12: I'm so happy I didn't seem to offend you. Feewww! I'm also very happy you know how aggressive they are :hehe: So many people get them cause they're pretty and then bam! Surprise :wideyed: Your fish and tank are beautiful :xflove:

I'd love a reef tank too :heart: Especially with seahorses!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
:laughing12: I'm so happy I didn't seem to offend you. Feewww! I'm also very happy you know how aggressive they are :hehe: So many people get them cause they're pretty and then bam! Surprise :wideyed: Your fish and tank are beautiful :xflove:

I'd love a reef tank too :heart: Especially with seahorses!

Nope no offense taken! I am always one who is opening to learning, I just happened to know about this one. ;) My children are "odd ducks" as they all fully understand the cycle of life. The twins just happen to rather see the shrimp as food then give them away..odd I know but eh they come by it rightly..I mean we do own cockatoos...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I love cichlids and loved feeding them live bloodworms when I worked at the pet store long ago.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I love cichlids and loved feeding them live bloodworms when I worked at the pet store long ago.

They love the live foods. Unfortunately I can only get frozen here. (Downside again for small towns). They get not only Chiclid staple but a rotation of blood worms and Brine shrimp (frozen) daily.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Whats the pH of the tank. Just so you know (i've tried it) while overstocking does work for a time, certain fish will become dominant and start to grow larger. You will then find that the fish has started to grow a little to big for the tank...and thus the grand cichlid tank adventure begins, always buying a larger tank until you wonder where you even got the 200gallon aquarium sitting in your living room. Also that does not look like enough filtration, for a tank like that i would be using canister with a 300sh gph, expensive, but way worth the money.
P.S. i have the same sign and your fish look great ;)

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Whats the pH of the tank. Just so you know (i've tried it) while overstocking does work for a time, certain fish will become dominant and start to grow larger. You will then find that the fish has started to grow a little to big for the tank...and thus the grand cichlid tank adventure begins, always buying a larger tank until you wonder where you even got the 200gallon aquarium sitting in your living room. Also that does not look like enough filtration, for a tank like that i would be using canister with a 300sh gph, expensive, but way worth the money.
P.S. i have the same sign and your fish look great ;)

Canister is on the "to do" list. But for now it has a over the back filter rated for a 80-100 gallon tank on a 40 gallon. PH is right about 8 last I checked. As for LTS (larger tank syndrome as we call it) we are no stranger to it..what you are looking at started out as a five gallon tank.....:wacky:

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
My 55 started from a 2.5 gallon and almost went to the 125 gallon stage.