• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We lost him today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsimba

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vik
Sorry for your loss, fly free Smokey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
I am so sorry. He sounded happy.
Please take comfort in knowing that he was.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I cant begin to imagine your pain. :hug8: We are here for you.:hug8:

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I'm very sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

kksdad

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'm so sorry for the loss of Smokey.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Hi everyone. We so touched by everyone's well wishes, thank you.

We are having a Necropsy and ancillary lab work done, because I want to know for sure that it wasn't some illness. Dr. Wexler is doing it and calling some time later today or tomorrow I think. He did say he felt it is most likely that Smokey was an older bird then we had thought, based on last months exam he was in good health and nothing came back unusual in his CBC/gram stain. We had a new exam done because this was a new avian vet, and we had a new baby coming into our family, so I wanted to be sure everything was OK.

We will have his remains cremated and returned to us. I keep alternating between crying a river and then pulling it together and trying to go about my day, and then someone will call, ask me "hey, why dont I hear your bird in the back ground?" and I break down all over again. he really was my constant companion :( His empty cage is too hard to look at so I cant even go in the living room without bawling all over again.
I'm so glad that you've decided to go ahead with the necropsy. I know it can be a very hard decision to make. Sometimes finding some answers can help with the healing process. Also, greys are known to have heart issues and it may be helpful to find out if Smokey had a heart attack or stroke. It gives those of us who live with greys a little bit more insight into what they can suffer from.

Once again, I am so very sorry for your loss. I've only lost one bird thus far and he passed away at the vet's office and it still hurts nearly a year later.

AshleyFamily

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laurie & Mark Ashley
well, we got the report back this evening. I am still stunned. No diagnosis could be found. The only thing that Dr. Wexler and his associates have said is that they could not rule out a heart attack, but nothing significant was found. i don't know what to think anymore :(
SmokeyNecropsyReportPg2 copy.jpg

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Aww I am so sorry :( huge hugs coming your way!!!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I guess it sounds that is must have been a heart attack, he was an older bird so kind of makes some sense that it was a sudden death. So sorry.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Hey guys I know this late post but I did not even know Smoky had passed just in june I had posted to the silly video of him. I am so sorry for your family's loss he will be waiting for you all on the other side . He is in gods flock now laughing and playing my condolences

Status
Not open for further replies.