• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We have two eggs!

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
OK so three days ago, Sundance laid two eggs. I realize with first laying not to expect anything. But she and Sammy are both taking turns on the eggs. Don't know if they are viable, we shall see. Any special foods I should be giving? I give them scrambled egg once per week and various other veggies and fruits. They love kale and broccoli. When, if, either of the eggs hatch, what foods should be given so that the babies get good diet? What about feeding the adults the baby bird cockatiel food that you give them when hand raising? Anything?? Also, my bird vet says absolutely no to seeds. They have been eating zupreem crumbles and pellets mixed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
OK so three days ago, Sundance laid two eggs. I realize with first laying not to expect anything. But she and Sammy are both taking turns on the eggs. Don't know if they are viable, we shall see. Any special foods I should be giving? I give them scrambled egg once per week and various other veggies and fruits. They love kale and broccoli. When, if, either of the eggs hatch, what foods should be given so that the babies get good diet? What about feeding the adults the baby bird cockatiel food that you give them when hand raising? Anything?? Also, my bird vet says absolutely no to seeds. They have been eating zupreem crumbles and pellets mixed.
I don't agree with the lack of seeds in the diet, but I would recommend sprouted seeds. Cockatiels naturally consume a lot of seeds and plant matter in the wild so they actually benefit from having seeds in the diet. When you sprout seeds, they turn into plants, aka "vegetable matter".

Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus) | Parrot Encyclopedia
Wild Diet:
Feeds mainly on seeds, especially Acacia and wheat.

Cockatiels in Wild - Neitokakadut - Variaatioiden aikakausi
Wild cockatiel's diet consists of for example different grains, seeds and berries. Cockatiels are ground eaters: they tend to land to the ground, searching seeds and grasses.

Sprouting for Birds -             International Cockatiel Resource                          Uniting the World!

Definitely make sure to keep a variety of soft foods on hand for both the parents and, if any, babies!

Besides offering sprouts and plenty of nutrient rich vegetables, I don't see any reason to change what you are already doing. There is no reason to feed formula to the parents as it's designed for chicks. The nutritional needs of chicks is greatly different to the parents, and the formula for chicks could be harmful to the adults if fed long term.