• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 We have a bleeder

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
Zazu was just at the vets and her toe nail is now bleeding. It bled there and he was able to reclauterize it.

I brought her home and it began to bleed so I called and he said try some flour if not, bring her back and I'll keep her overnight.

She's picking at it, holding it up. I got it to kind of stop.

Do I take her back as a precaution?

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
If it's flowing out I'd take her back to the vet, as birds can loose a small amount of blood to us, but in birds terms it's a lot. Also if she's pecking at it it'll reopen.
Safest bet back to the doc

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Use a lot of what ever you are using and try to press it on with you fingers if she will allow it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pressure, if she lets you, Do you have cayenne pepper to make a paste? It works, put alot on the talon, and press firmly but gently, she's holding up the foot coz it hurts. Poor baby,,, if you take her back, DO NOT LET THEM charge you, it's they're fault. Hope she's OK.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Try to keep her home... :(

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
We're back at the vet. He's trying to reclauterize. I wasn't able to get it to stop, she was picking at it and holding it up. It looks fairly short. He's going to see what he's able to do here maybe throw her in a collar over night. He doesn't want to keep her but we'll see what kind of magic he can work.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
corn starch, flour, cayenne and firm direct pressure on the toe for at least 2 minutes. you may have to towel her to do that. I make a paste of cayenne/ corn starch and hold it in tight firm pinch.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
corn starch, flour, cayenne and firm direct pressure on the toe for at least 2 minutes. you may have to towel her to do that. I make a paste of cayenne/ corn starch and hold it in tight firm pinch.
When I called he suggested flour. I was dumping it on and wasn't having any luck. When it did stop for a split second, she'd chew and aggregate it again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good luck. Thinking abut you two.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
My poor girl is in the ICU for the next 45 minutes. He reclauterized but now wants her to walk around and see if we get anymore bleeders.

If she bleed or picks, she stays.

Attachments

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Sending good thoughts to you and your child! Hoping for a speedy recovery!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
When I called he suggested flour. I was dumping it on and wasn't having any luck. When it did stop for a split second, she'd chew and aggregate it again.
you can't dump it on. you have to apply it and hold in in place. it the pressure that stops it. JMHO

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
you can't dump it on. you have to apply it and hold in in place. it the pressure that stops it. JMHO
I dumped and pressed while I had her upside down in a towel. It did somewhat stop but, she picked at it. He was able to work some magic and make it stop.

Now she's just on watch until 7:00

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I just responded on your other thread, but I would ask some very serious questions before leaving her for something like a bleeding toenail. It is extremely bizarre to me that this is happening. How short is this nail? Also, who was restraining the bird for the nail trim and other procedures while she was there today?

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
I just responded on your other thread, but I would ask some very serious questions before leaving her for something like a bleeding toenail. It is extremely bizarre to me that this is happening. How short is this nail? Also, who was restraining the bird for the nail trim and other procedures while she was there today?

She's home with me now and completely fine. The nail was pretty short compared to the others. He had her restrained in a towel. Before he did any procedures, he did a pretty extensive exam to see how she reacted to being restrained by him. She handled it well and didn't put up a fight. I was there for all of the procedures. He was very gentle and patient. If she didn't tolerate, he backed off.

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I hope you are on your way home now wit your bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did he use a nail clip for the bloodwork? I assume that's why the heavy bleed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that Zazu is home now and is OK.