1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We had a visitor today.. the President!

Discussion in 'Comment Court' started by Mockinbirdiva, 9/19/18.

1. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Andrea
    Trump visited North and South Carolina today to survey the damage done by Hurricane Florence. It was nice to see him hug a little boy that asked for a hug and he handed out hot meals. So many people have had their homes ravaged by flood waters, major highways were shut down and for so many, life is uncertain. I feel for all those people and hope that we get federal aid to help them out. Sadly, as reported on the news, about only 9% of those people had flood insurance because they never expected areas that weren't in flood zones to be overwhelmed with this magnitude of water.

itzmered, sunnysmom, greys4u and 2 others like this.
  2. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Rhiana
    It's good to see him out there seeing things first hand. Oh my goodness that is so sad they didn't have coverage. I made a list of things we are going to need and going to have when we move. My husband thinks I am crazy but I told him you never know what is going to happen.

Meggie, SandraK, Peachfaced and 2 others like this.
  3. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Water is awful.

My aunt was flooded in St. Louis many years ago. As I recall, they were able to obtain a lengthy loan (30 year?) through the services offered. I think her hubby was in his 80's at the time. Everything they put up high to keep safe was ruined by the moisture in the house. Not the water itself, just the MOISTURE!

Peachfaced and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  4. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    How terrible. :( Even worse because it's unexpected. Nobody has "moisture insurance".

Peachfaced and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  5. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Quilts......rotted.

It was horrendous. Rivers backed up and then the River Des Peres (Google it) that my aunt called river de peeeeuuuuuu got caught up in it.

They were out of their home for a long time. First with her daughter, then in a rental apartment. Super hard in the elderly.

6. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    That's awful. There are so many areas in our country with floods that have destroyed so many homes and lives. South Carolina isn't a rich state and cost of living can be reasonable. Heck, I think 80% of SC residents are northerners that moved here to get away from the cold winters of the north! When Hurricane Floyd hit our area in 1999 it also came in as a category 4 straight at our coastline and went north. 87 people died, the people in Wilmington have been slammed so many times by storms. Our rivers have crested and inland areas are inundated with water. You know what hasn't been mentioned yet in the news? Although I did see a video clip during this storm that a resident some where shot in a neighborhood... was a large alligator crossing the street and running into a nearby small pond. All this water covering land has given open territories to a nasty predator. Mark my words.... it will come up in the news sooner or later. Just a little over a month ago a woman was killed by an 8 foot alligator as she was walking her dog next to a pond in her neighborhood. The gator leap out of the water, got the dogs leash and in her attempt to keep the alligator from pulling her dog into the water she struggled with the leash and the alligator grabbed her and dragged her under the water. She was in her fifties.

Here's Hurricane Floyd... the homes across the street from me did flood because they are slab foundations. We had no visible grass around our house.

Here's the video of the alligator. This community is about eight miles from me..

Peachfaced and faislaq like this.
  7. Clueless

Oh my gosh....

8. Henry's Birds

Henry's Birds Meeting neighbors

Henry
    I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers! Floods can be killers, we haven't had too many (in my time) in Oklahoma.

faislaq, Peachfaced and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  9. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Walking the driveway I Can't Stop Posting!

Tricia
    We got heavy rains and thunder but no flooding. My heart goes out to everyone affected. Blessings to you all!

faislaq likes this.
  10. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    It's been really bad since the hurricane left. Rivers and waterways have crested at above record levels. From North Myrtle Beach to Georgetown surrounding communities include Socastee and Conway, SC are flooded. Roads are closed all over the county including highways that have been breached by flood waters. It's so sad to see the developments and rural areas that are under water. Hundreds of people have had to evacuate their homes and with their homes flooded, they won't be able to go back home. Businesses as well. Not only have people lost their homes but their jobs too.
    It's sad all the way around. If we had another storm come it would be mad chaos and add to a giant growing problem here.

11. Clueless

Breaks my heart

Mockinbirdiva likes this.
  12. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    It does me too.

13. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    This hurricane was one monster, ruining lives upon lives in multiple States. Prayers to all in this event!

I know I was tired of the rain for days, but we were not affected by any flooding and historically we are in no area to ever have to experience that. Thank the good lord!

@Mockinbirdiva you have fared well with the SC flooding?

Mockinbirdiva likes this.
  14. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    I have no flooding in the area I live in. But 15 and 20 miles from me where the rivers are have immense flooding.. Houses with up to 6 feet of water around them. Another road closed today. A swing bridge that could open for boats to go through closed this afternoon. The water is barely touching the bottom of this bridge but they felt it was no longer safe for cars to go over the bridge. Areas that have never experienced any type of flooding are impassable. The only route of travel is by boat.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)