• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We had a break thru

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe has been being let out of his cage nightly. But he can be a stinker about going back into his cage. I've tried waiting him out until he ready to go back on his own. One night it was past midnight before I had enough. I hate toweling him or using the net. I can't leave him out all night either.
Tonight, I let him out about 6pm, took him awhile to get his bravery up and come out. Once out he wandered around on the cage top. 8pm I turned down the lights and waited him out. Nope not doing it, ok buddy let's try something else. I got his favorite treat organic popped popcorn and the kitchen chair. I sat in front of his cage, tapping the popcorn bowl. I put a piece on his flat perch and told him to try. He looked at it for the longest time, then at me. Tapping the cage door telling him cage up. He watched, snaked down to the door, and scoot back up. Did that several times. Each time getting braver and braver.
Finally he went in in his own, many praises, and pieces of popcorn. I will have to take pictures and try tomorrow.
Baby steps

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yay Bebe! :alexcool: I'm so glad your momma knows your weaknesses and you went in like a big boy. :xflove:

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
Sounds right about like my IRN lol. Getting him back in his cage used to be the biggest hassle ever. He straight up refused to go in, no matter how sleepy he was.

He now goes in, but only if I bring out his travel carrier every night. He then steps up on it (since hands are off limits) and I carry him to his cage. Every. single. night.

He is such an over dramatic bird. :lol:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Good boy Bebe! :dance4: I’m glad you found something that might work. Popcorn is such a cockatiel favorite!:popcorn2:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Who cares if he's in the mood for pictures as long as he's in the mood for popcorn! :dance5:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I made popcorn for myself, tonight. But I have a Tupperware that I put plain popcorn in from him. Funny Rocky was the same way about his popcorn. Loved the stuff. Sweet Pea was take or leave it, she wanted hers fresh and hot.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I've been trying to get a picture of him. Tonight was success, this was taken after I opened his door. Notice the marking on back of his head.
20190320_182454.jpg
We have had success every night with letting him out every night but one night.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok darling, but you haven't been bitten by him either. Swear he goes for the nearest vein he can find. I've needed steri- strips for a couple of them.